topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: REQ: Ability to see more of the RAW packet data  (Read 4289 times)

Defenestration

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
REQ: Ability to see more of the RAW packet data
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:38 PM »
URL snooper is great as it is and can find most media URL's. However, URL snooper has a problem with some sites which offer media in different qualities, as only the default quality URL appears in US. This may well be an issue with the site rather than US, but it would often be possible to work out what the correct URL is for the quality you want if you could see more of the raw packet data (ie. the folder and filename part are past the end of the raw packet data).

Does US already show the entire raw packet data for a URL ?

If I view the packet files, the following packet file does not seem to follow on from the previous packet file, as if something is missing. Should the packet files contain all data from every packet sniffed ?

If US doesn't show the entire packet, it would be very useful if it was possible to configure how many bytes either side of the found URL was shown as then in most cases I could determine the actual media URL for the quality I'm after.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: REQ: Ability to see more of the RAW packet data
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38 AM »
If you're looking for packet analysis, would Wire Shark fit the bill? It's quite good and offers a lot of indepth tools.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: REQ: Ability to see more of the RAW packet data
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Let me try to help a bit on this, and assuming you have the packet view panel enabled:

If you finish snooping and then click on a found url, it will only show the packet that contained the URL.

If you want to see every packet as it is being sniffed, you can click the "Pause" button and then parse 1 packet at a time.  In this case you will see EVERY packet as it arrives.

I think what you are asking for is the ability to click on a found URL and then investigate the packets before and after it -- not live but after the fact.  This could indeed be a useful feature, but is not completely trivial to add. I will consider it though.

Until then, as Renegade says -- if you really want to do detailed packet analysis, the answer is a program dedicated to such things, like Wire Shark.