topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Probably the single best idea I've seen in a *very* long time.  (Read 5942 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
photo.JPG

Yup! Works for me. :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Probably the single best idea I've seen in a *very* long time.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:23 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Yup! Works for me. :Thmbsup:

You might have to change sigs. It's Phones all the way down!  8)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Marvelous idea!  :Thmbsup:

Are all the phones in buzz-mode only? If that is not the case, it should be. Because you can use different ring tones (per contact) so it is quite easy to recognize which phone goes off and who is calling.

When all the phones are in buzz/vibration-only mode, you can introduce a gambling element into this plan...opens up a lot more possibilities and/or punishments  :deal:

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:35 PM »
The phones should all be silenced with no vibrate either.

Different models of phones will vibrate with different patterns, making it identifiable.

Not only that, but a vibrating phone could cause the stack to tip over. Someone would have to pick it up cause it would be in the way, and they would of course look at it.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:43 PM »
I would so win that game... I haven't got to the "obsessive phone checker" level yet, and am entirely comfortable leaving my phone at home when it's not necessary.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:23 AM »
^Me too. ;D
I'm always amazed by some people's reaction when I let my phone "ring through" to voicemail. Or when I turn it off. You'd think I was breaking a law - or murdering a kitten! You can see them visibly retraining themselves from picking it up they're so conditioned.

Even sadder is watching the really bad addicts immediately grab their own phones and do something (like text a message or check their FB) just to take the edge off their jones should I refuse to pick up mine.

Only a matter of time before somebody files a class action suit.  ;) :tellme:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:32 AM by 40hz »

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36 AM »
Even sadder is watching the really bad addicts immediately grab their own phones and do something (like text a message or check their FB) just to take the edge off their jones should I refuse to pick up mine.

Even sadder than that ^ is watching those newscasts of all those people going completely crazy over a new iPhone issue or similar and screaming with delight as if they've found the secret to eternal youth.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41 AM »
My phone is set to ring only once when someone calls so it is really easy to miss it or ignore it  :-*

I mostly use my mobile to pick up calls left on my home phone but I don't do that very often.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 05:57 AM »
I'm always amazed by some people's reaction when I let my phone "ring through" to voicemail.

No redirection or call-waiting, (I'm not paying for the extra calls generated), on my mobile and landline so in theory it'll ring for 60-90 seconds before it times out...but off course the impatient people ringing won't let it get past 20 seconds before they hang up  ;D

That's fine, if it's really important they'll ring again  ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 09:12 AM »
I rarely use my phone here. Most of my communications are by email and Skype (chat, Skype to phone, video chat).

But yeah, it's kind of annoying when people are addicted to their phones. I don't answer my phone when I'm busy talking with someone - it just shows that I value their time and company. But, whatever. People can do whatever they want, and even better if they pay the bill! (Think I'd order another beer or 3 at that point! :P )
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:39 AM »
I only carry my phone at all in case of emergencies, and for the convenience of keeping track of time on a device that isn't likely to get my arm caught in a machine.

For the most part it never rings- and when it does it gets ignored unless the person calls twice in a row, and text messages to it are ignored unless they are from known sources.

So I would clean house on a game like this, because most of the time I don't even look at my phone anyway other than making sure it is in my pocket when I leave.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16 AM »
I have to say I'm midline to all y'all, I carry my phone everywhere, because I had a bad enough incident when my car broke down in the middle of a big road trip that having a phone turned it from a disaster into just a nuisance. And my family has a culture that you're not really supposed to just randomly ignore calls. If you're really busy such as in a theater show, or unreachable underground in the subway, or even in a conversation with someone important, sure, but not "ho hum I don't feel like talking to you" isn't a good idea for me.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:35 AM »
Oh boy, free food! (but I'd have to borrow an old dead phone from someone to play this game, as I have never owned a cell phone)  :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:07 PM »
  I have always hated phones, not much of a phone talker and get irritated when people call for stupid ass stuff.  I was always happy to get away from the house just to get away from the phone.  The only reason I have a cell phone now is for emergencies.  If someone wants to tell me something that's not really important, they can text me.  >:D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Oh boy, free food! (but I'd have to borrow an old dead phone from someone to play this game, as I have never owned a cell phone)  :D

Especially if you have an accomplice who can ring one of the other phones ;)