ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software that sounded useful, so you bought it, but then...

<< < (2/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
I too try text editors and file managers. But I don't keep many. The text editor may have a feature that is handy only occasionally. If it's not too bulky then it may be worth keeping. Most of the time the File Managers don't last long unless they are portable and take very little space. Too many new hotkeys, buttons and other stuff to remember. I tend to go back to FreeCommander just to save the frustration.

What I find too is that technology moves on. I have no need to encode from (S)VCD anymore.  The system imaging program that worked great on XP doesn't work so well on Vista and later etc..

Also freeware makes great strides. I don't renew paid programs when I find free utilities that work better for me.  One example is Easus ToDo Backup Free.  It works better than any paid program of its sort I've tried so far.

Office Suites tend to be removed after a short trial. I just don't need to do presentations at corporate meetings. They seem to want to throw all that and the kitchen sink in just to get a word processor that can do stuff with word files people insist on posting instead of something portable.  :)

Curt:
I think I am the prototype on the thread's subject. I have purchased hundreds of useful programs that weren't useful at all - at least not to me. And then I upgrade to the new version, because now I have it, so I must upgrade it, or the initial purchase would seem wasted...

Just like our DC member Darwin I have now changed my ways. I am down to 145 programs installed, and haven't made a single purchase.. ehh... more than a couple of purchases since November. Hello, my name is Curt, I am a softoholic...

Tinman57:
I think I am the prototype on the thread's subject. I have purchased hundreds of useful programs that weren't useful at all - at least not to me. And then I upgrade to the new version, because now I have it, so I must upgrade it, or the initial purchase would seem wasted...

Just like our DC member Darwin I have now changed my ways. I am down to 145 programs installed, and haven't made a single purchase.. ehh... more than a couple of purchases since November. Hello, my name is Curt, I am a softoholic...-Curt (January 04, 2013, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D  You have software OCD!!!   ;D

wraith808:

Just like our DC member Darwin I have now changed my ways. I am down to 145 programs installed, and haven't made a single purchase.. ehh... more than a couple of purchases since November. Hello, my name is Curt, I am a softoholic...

-Curt (January 04, 2013, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I could have written that.  I'm so glad that BDJ has taken to sucking hard in their bargains.  It really saves me a lot of money spent on software I don't need.  And it's not just software- during this steam sale, I bought a couple of hundreds of dollars of game.  But I've only played one of them.  I have a problem...

Jeffsw3:
I also tend to buy alot of software, I feel that if I use a program, even for a single task, then the programmer deserves to be paid for it.  I budget so much each month for these purchases - just my way of supporting the little guy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version