ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

win7 + external HDD

(1/4) > >>

Target:
I'm starting to think Win7 isn't all it's cracked up to be...

I have an external HDD I use everyday without issue on a x86 win7 machine, however my home machine (x64 win7) won't even detect it.   

The drive is a 320G Seagate portable expansion drive (contains an Hitachi HDD), and it works fine on my other machines (XP laptop, win7 netbook), but as far as my main machine is concerned it doesn't exist.

I've tried all the ports, several cables, and a couple of hubs without success, but the fact that it works fine on the other machines would seem to indicate the 'fault' isn't with the drive

Google says this is a pretty common experience, though as with my WSOD issue, there don't appear to be any definitive causes or fixes.

Up till now it's been a minor irritation, but I wanted to get some largish video files off it over the break and couldn't (OK, I probably could have, but I wasn't prepared to go through all the jiggery pokery required at the time)

Anyone else had a similar experience and resolved it (and how?)

4wd:
Perhaps try GhostBuster to remove any non-plugged in devices, then try again.

MilesAhead:
I would ask here

From things I'm hearing here and there I don't think W7 64 bit is as solid as Vista64. I did a custom install of 32 bit W7 over Vista 32 bit. It worked out fine. I tried the same thing only with W7 64 bit on top of Vista64. I had to restore from my saved image to put Vista64 back on. The system would boot. But it was too flaky to use like that.

Target:
From things I'm hearing here and there I don't think W7 64 bit is as solid as Vista64. I did a custom install of 32 bit W7 over Vista 32 bit. It worked out fine. I tried the same thing only with W7 64 bit on top of Vista64. I had to restore from my saved image to put Vista64 back on. The system would boot. But it was too flaky to use like that.-MilesAhead (January 03, 2013, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

interesting, but mine was a clean install to a brand new (SSD) drive

I shall investigate further

4wd:
Something easy to try, plug the drive into a USB 2.0 port on the suspect computer and boot off of a Linux LiveCD - it will at least isolate it to software or hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version