ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ubuntu Linux smarthphone coming this year?

<< < (3/7) > >>

superboyac:
Telecommunications and the radio spectrum are highly regulated in most parts of the world - both under local law and international treaty.

So while you can easily build any hardware device you like, there's no guarantee it will ever be allowed to access the telcom grid or legally use the airwaves. Because in such a highly regulated environment, all unrestricted devices (and most real innovations) are viewed as potential threats to the stability and security of the network. So a completely open and unlocked smartphone is the last thing that government regulators and telco network security departments want to see come onto the market. Or even be allowed.

And like the TV ad (Verizon?) says: a phone is only as good as the network it's on. Or more correctly: is allowed on.

And with all the patent trolling, vendor lock-in, and infighting going on in the smartphone market, I don't see any of the real players (AT&T, Verizon, Metro Mobile, Sprint, et al.) looking to add to their line of sanctioned smartphones.

To be frank, Canonical is completely out of its league here. And probably more than a little guilty of falling for the "better mousetrap" fallacy.

Exciting? Yes! But as my niece says : This is so not gonna happen.
 8)

-40hz (January 03, 2013, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
ah...screw it all.  i honestly don't even care anymore.

i'm just going to go back to working on cartoons and ignoring the world.

Edvard:
Cartoons? I LOVE cartoons!!  :tellme:

Deozaan:
My only wish for Android is if I could get root without having to have a custom rom.  DAMN annoying when I can't do a fool task like changing the fecking DNS without rooting it.  Bleah.
-Edvard (January 03, 2013, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't need a custom ROM to get root on my Android device. Maybe you got the wrong device, one where the manufacturer/provider customized it with a bunch of crapware and locked it down. . .

Edvard:
Acer Iconia Tab a210.  Any suggestions?

40hz:
Telecommunications and the radio spectrum are highly regulated in most parts of the world - both under local law and international treaty.

So while you can easily build any hardware device you like, there's no guarantee it will ever be allowed to access the telcom grid or legally use the airwaves. Because in such a highly regulated environment, all unrestricted devices (and most real innovations) are viewed as potential threats to the stability and security of the network. So a completely open and unlocked smartphone is the last thing that government regulators and telco network security departments want to see come onto the market. Or even be allowed.

And like the TV ad (Verizon?) says: a phone is only as good as the network it's on. Or more correctly: is allowed on.

And with all the patent trolling, vendor lock-in, and infighting going on in the smartphone market, I don't see any of the real players (AT&T, Verizon, Metro Mobile, Sprint, et al.) looking to add to their line of sanctioned smartphones.

To be frank, Canonical is completely out of its league here. And probably more than a little guilty of falling for the "better mousetrap" fallacy.

Exciting? Yes! But as my niece says : This is so not gonna happen.
 8)

-40hz (January 03, 2013, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
ah...screw it all.  i honestly don't even care anymore.

i'm just going to go back to working on cartoons and ignoring the world.
-superboyac (January 03, 2013, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

A capital idea. I'm doing much the same these days - except with music and guitar design. ;D :Thmbsup:

Seriously though, it is interesting. But with all the powerful commercial and political interests arrayed against it, I don't give anything "open" in the smartphone universe much hope. It's not a battle that "open" can win.
 :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version