ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ubuntu Linux smarthphone coming this year?

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
http://www.crn.com/news/mobility/240145445/ubuntu-linux-smartphone-coming-this-year.htm

Could this be as exciting as it sounds?  Please!

f0dder:
I really don't see the need, business case, user interest (apart from a few hardcore geeks), or anything else, really.

Android is already running a linux kernel, and android apps can include native code. I don't really see why you'd want something that's probably closer to a normal distro on neither phones (perhaps on tablets, but even there I'm not convinced). If it runs traditional linux applications with no sandboxing, it's going to be a security nightmare, and if it adds sandboxing it'll be duplicating android functionality.

So, what's the deal? Sell it to me.

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

Smarthphone?

superboyac:
--- End quote ---

Smarthphone?
-Stephen66515 (January 02, 2013, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
yeth!!

superboyac:
I really don't see the need, business case, user interest (apart from a few hardcore geeks), or anything else, really.

Android is already running a linux kernel, and android apps can include native code. I don't really see why you'd want something that's probably closer to a normal distro on neither phones (perhaps on tablets, but even there I'm not convinced). If it runs traditional linux applications with no sandboxing, it's going to be a security nightmare, and if it adds sandboxing it'll be duplicating android functionality.

So, what's the deal? Sell it to me.

-f0dder (January 02, 2013, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Anything to make it more hacker friendly.  anything to divorce the marriage between phone models and carrier.  more choices, more software/apps, more options.  ability for smaller companies to build their own cellphones, and not just the huge brands like apple, ms, samsung, htc.  how about a ubuntu phone made by kingston, that i take to at&t and activate.  stuff like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version