ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ubuntu Linux smarthphone coming this year?

<< < (6/7) > >>

40hz:
you just raised the bar for godfathers!
-superboyac (January 05, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

More like the bar for godmothers. ;)  (Her guitar - not mine. I'd never spring for gold hardware! ;D)

superboyac:
you just raised the bar for godfathers!
-superboyac (January 05, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

More like the bar for godmothers. ;)  (Her guitar - not mine. I'd never spring for gold hardware! ;D)
-40hz (January 05, 2013, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
ok good.  hopefully the kid is not just strumming chords on that thang.  8)

Edvard:
Hehe, not a kid either.  ;D

I'd rather they put their efforts into a genuine open tablet PC and forget about the smartphone idea entirely.
--- End quote ---
Sure, that'd be nice, but I'd also like to see something akin to the Xbox Linux project to build a stripped-down kernel and system that can be installed on older or unused cell phones so they're not just gathering dust.  Sure, the stock Android would be enough for entertainment value, but I'd like the possibility for something different and conceivably more useful.

40hz:
I'd like the possibility for something different and conceivably more useful.
-Edvard (January 05, 2013, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. Ever hear of a Raspberry Pi? Or an Arduino or Pandaboard?  ;)

Edvard:
Agree. Ever hear of a Raspberry Pi? Or an Arduino or Pandaboard?
--- End quote ---
Wat? Dude, I seriously hope you're trolling there.  :o  ;)
I'm ordering an Arduino with a few goodies tomorrow and a Pi on the next paycheck (from Element14 of course...).  Pandaboard... maybe someday, though I had been eyeing the Beagleboard for a while.  Hmm... dual Cortex A9 but no bios or nonvolatile memory OR single Cortex A8... yeah, Pandaboard it is.
...And of course I'll be first in line to get a Parallella when that comes out, though I'm not coder enough to take real advantage of the 64-core co-processor.  Then again, maybe that'll be a good reason to start learning in earnest...

My point was going along with xtabber's comment about re-purposing old and unused phones.  Working in a call center for a big phone provider, I've suggested as much to many customers, and they seem to think it's pretty cool that the phones are still usable, just not as phones per se, unless with Google Voice or Skype over Wifi.  Installing a Linux, they could be used in a similar way, but it would be much more open for experimentation and possible innovation, and extend the possible useful life of the device.

Just sayin...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version