ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MS Blocks Ability in Windows 8

<< < (7/9) > >>

Tinman57:
Why do you need the start menu? You can simply click the lower left corner, where the start button used to be, and you can type just as you would before. I don't know many people who navigated the menus rather than typing the entry name...At least users NOT on XP.
-Josh (January 02, 2013, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
  I'm on XP, when I want to run an app I just hit Win-Q and then type the first couple of letters of the app I want to run, and Ta-Dah!  It's running.  It's called Slickrun.  But there are times when I want to run an app that I haven't used in a while and can't remember the name.  That's where the start menu comes in handy, or I can hit Win-Q and have Slickrun give me a list of apps...
-Tinman57 (January 02, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the same functionality that's built in now?
-wraith808 (January 02, 2013, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not in XP.  Slickrun is the first app that I know of that did this.  If it is a feature in Win 8, then MS kind of borrowed the idea from somewhere.  lol

Josh:
Tinman, The start menu has acted this way since Vista....

Tinman57:
Tinman, The start menu has acted this way since Vista....
-Josh (January 03, 2013, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
  I've never played with Vista, 7 or 8.  Still using XP for now.

tomos:
This has all been trashed out before...

I'm not sure why people get upset about people who are upset with 8 booting into metro.
I dont use metro, why should I boot into the thing?

Why should we be offered workarounds to replace the start menu? Why not leave the desktop easily usable for those of us who do not have and do not plan to have touch screens? (And for the mouse centric.)

I'm not at all anti-8. But I really do not understand a few basic things in 8 that bug me every time I use it...

Oh yeah:
the solution I used to boot to desktop seemed a bit scary to me initially as it required re-activating the OS :o - it was all done automatically though. If you're using a pre-installed copy, this will help you find the key.

I followed these instructions to boot directly to desktop and it works:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-skip-start-screen-natively-without-using-any-third-party-tool/-phitsc (November 23, 2012, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
I seem to be booting straight to the desktop using Start8 but I still have to see the silly (and completely pointless) "Lock Screen" and either log in to an email address or enter a Pin.

Does anyone know a way to by pass the Lock Screen and mandatory login so I switch on and it goes straight to the desktop?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version