ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MS Blocks Ability in Windows 8

<< < (6/9) > >>

wraith808:
Why do you need the start menu? You can simply click the lower left corner, where the start button used to be, and you can type just as you would before. I don't know many people who navigated the menus rather than typing the entry name...At least users NOT on XP.
-Josh (January 02, 2013, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
  I'm on XP, when I want to run an app I just hit Win-Q and then type the first couple of letters of the app I want to run, and Ta-Dah!  It's running.  It's called Slickrun.  But there are times when I want to run an app that I haven't used in a while and can't remember the name.  That's where the start menu comes in handy, or I can hit Win-Q and have Slickrun give me a list of apps...
-Tinman57 (January 02, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the same functionality that's built in now?

f0dder:
Isn't that the same functionality that's built in now?-wraith808 (January 02, 2013, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Pretty much yeah, and the same hotkey - Win+W for searching settings (settings has a bit of stupid in it, though: it won't show anything until you start typing).

Carol Haynes:
I'm still trying to fathom the logic in skipping directly to a Start Button-less desktop just to have to go back to the thing you bypassed to get what you wanted. Are people really that enamored with their wallpaper?

Place shortcut to preferred desktop application(s) on Start Screen, Boot, Click/Touch, Done ... Why that so hard?

I should run down to the local tire store and pitch a fit because they have no steel banded wooden rims for my pickup...just to see if anyone there has enough sense to laugh at me.
-Stoic Joker (January 02, 2013, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
  Guess that depends on if it's a 1929 Ford truck....  :P
-Tinman57 (January 02, 2013, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL - and in my case my start menu has over 1500 shortcuts and folders - I don't want to have to make tiles for that lot!

Also the Metro page doesn't support folders which are great for related shortcuts, quick links to blocks of documents and all sorts of things.

Stoic Joker:
Also the Metro page doesn't support folders which are great for related shortcuts, quick links to blocks of documents and all sorts of things.-Carol Haynes (January 03, 2013, 05:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any descent application will have a recently used files list which works well for that. I frequently rely on it for diagnosing client issues when the client can't remember what document was open or causing issue X.

Stoic Joker:
I'm still trying to fathom the logic in skipping directly to a Start Button-less desktop just to have to go back to the thing you bypassed to get what you wanted. Are people really that enamored with their wallpaper?

Place shortcut to preferred desktop application(s) on Start Screen, Boot, Click/Touch, Done ... Why that so hard?

I should run down to the local tire store and pitch a fit because they have no steel banded wooden rims for my pickup...just to see if anyone there has enough sense to laugh at me.
-Stoic Joker (January 02, 2013, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
 Guess that depends on if it's a 1929 Ford truck....  :P
-Tinman57 (January 02, 2013, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Touché :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version