ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Earlier versions of Serif software at bargain prices until 4 Jan. 2013

<< < (2/4) > >>

Curt:
i always go to check the serif products website but i'm in shock when i see their apps weight are sized in hundreds of megabytes.
-flamerz (January 02, 2013, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably the size is because of all the clipart, fonts, textures, tutorials, etc.  The apps do use up a lot of RAM when running, but they load fairly quickly. -kunkel321 (January 02, 2013, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I know PagePlus is written in C++, so... maybe it really isn't that big?

I think the biggest problem for Serif may be that the trade people see Serif as entry level products. Today's "90% off" offer could be compared to the long abandoned Adobe PageMaker 7 still being on sale for $500 (!!!).

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I'm looking this over, realizing that, eg. I might want to occasionally have a software for things like charts and graphs, visual publishing stuff, and right now I do not do that stuff at all. (Whether publishable to a web page or just for inclusion in an email, perhaps as some sort of document that can be sent).

Some of these products might be a fun way to have more utility.

It was disappointing to see a Uniblue scam product in their mix. (not a dealbreaker though, I should let them know).

Anyway, which programs do I want .. hmmm.

PhotoPlus X4  - Photo editing
Photo editing sounds a little different, not really the same genre, and there are continual specials on that, so not so much

Movie editing - not needed

===============

Three for consideration.. at $15 per, not bad to have a program with a real registration, are any of these available in other forms free similarly good ?  By working with Serif will I have like a full suite, with similar look and feel, and fairly compatible products ?

DrawPlus X4 - Digital art, drawing, design * yes, makes sense

PagePlus X5 - Desk top publishing           * - possibly, but will I really use it ?  For what ?

WebPlus X5  - Web site design               * - how does it compare to SiteSpinner, Website Realizer and other easy web products

===============

Open source Inkscape is given in one place as the DrawPlus alternative, but with a nod that DrawPlus can be easier to use and more solid in some ways.

Apparently Serif puts out some hobbled Starter Editions .. SE .. but if you are serious with any of these products, these $15 specials would be a far better ways to go.

I'll listen for your feedback, when does this thing end ?  Stop me, before I buy three products ! :)  Or should I just be conservative and get DrawPlus.  (It was a good day today, and I can go for the full-blown $45 if it seems sensible.)

I have a reggie for PagePlus 11, from a DownloadCrew giveaway last May, which I think I forgot to install, but I do have the serial number, so maybe I pass there. (Found download, trying late install ) However, it is an earlier version I think,  Hmmm..

Steven

NigelH:
If you get on these guys mailing list nothingbutsoftware, they often have Serif boxed software deals (as well as others) not listed on their web site.
e.g.
PagePlus X5 for $6.95  - free shipping. (often $9-95)
Photo & Movie HD Suite (PhotoPlus X4 & MoviePlus X5) for $19-95

Curt:
@Steven, I think you should know that Serif will mail you more offers than Ashampoo...

I have PagePlus X6, and is disappointed. Mostly because I also had version X4 and X5, and was disappointed with them as well, and because Adobe PageMaker 5 from 1995 in my memory still is better than a brand-new Serif. But you know, all these fantastic offers they keep mailing me...

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Thanks, Nigel. A good plan B if I wait here.  I see they have the PagePlusX5 at a $19 normally, maybe with box shipped too. Hmmm.. however the WebPlus is about $10 more and I dont see DrawPlus. I understand what you are saying, that specials come up now and then.

So, right now DrawPlus is in the biggest consideration. Anybody using it daily ? Lets look back to the top of the thread. We have one plus from Kunkel.

My ancient PagePlus install is doing funny stuff, that might be because it was some sort of special edition from Downloadcrew.

The problem with WebPlus X5 seems to be that it can sort of lock you into the Serif server, at least for some things called Smart Objects , so it may not be a true Easy-web tool, based on discussions here. http://www.bitsdujour.com...tware/webplus-x5#comments  However, they defend your independence in reply.

I don't mind the spam mail, easy to filter it if not get off the list, but if you look there above, Serif has gotten aggressive in UK in some unethical marketing stuff.  Hmmm..

Compared to Ashampoo, what I like is that it is, I think, actually their software developed over time. Noting that Curt has been disappointed with PagePlus.  

Do they have any forums ? Yes. And they look legit.

What was your biggest disappointments, Curt ?

====================

Incidentally, another way to possibly score some of these products is to check the UK magazines. Although they have trimmed down in number, they still are in some book stores and computer stores.  The mag will cost about $15 and will have a few full products on a DVD, often like this, a solid product one version earlier.  Afaik, Serif continues to be a contributor in that way.

Checking, PC Advisor
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/magazines/cover-disc/
"Other lead programs include Serif DrawPlus Starter Edition, alongside Ashampoo Burning Studio 2013 and Abelssoft FileWing Pro 2.3"

SE editions are no help.

Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version