topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... hardware mavens for a [problematic] wi-fi TV installation  (Read 2583 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Folk,
I would like to install a TV in the garage.  Broadcast TV would work OK, but broadcast in this area is somewhat less than stellar.  And running cable to the garage is not feasible.  So, what I would like to do is to do this via wireless, i.e. via my current wi-fi network.  However I have no idea whether this is doable.

Before I start a [possibly futile] search on ways, means, & equipment, I need some idea whether this is even possible.

My thought is to attach a dongle to the [USB capable] TV that will allow it to access my existing cable signal via the wi-fi network.  I do not yet have the TV, so its requirements are flexible.  Current router is a Cisco/LinkSys E4200, but that can be changed.  I've dedicated a bit of savings to this project, but I don't yet know whether it can be accomplished, nor what I'd need if it can.

Rationale for this is that I have several friends, sports nuts, who like to smoke  :).  At this time of the year, the patio is a bit uncomfortable, so we retire to the garage for beer & smokes, but there's a dichotomy 'tween smoking and watching the game(s)  ;).  We also do a bit of laptop work during the smoking sessions when sports events are not extant  :o.

I know I've left a lot out, but the bare bones are here.  Mostly I just want opinions/suggestions about feasibility before I launch a search equivalent to tilting at windmills.

So, any thoughts on the matter?  Advice?  Suggestions?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How far away from the house/WiFi router is the garage, and how strong is the siginal if you take a laptop into the garage now?

Have you considered using a powerline network between the house and garage? The TV could then be ethernet, and a WAP could be added for the laptops.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Isn't this what the Slingbox device does?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How far away from the house/WiFi router is the garage, and how strong is the siginal if you take a laptop into the garage now?

Have you considered using a powerline network between the house and garage? The TV could then be ethernet, and a WAP could be added for the laptops.

Distance should be no problem:  ~fifty (50) - sixty (60) feet - it's attached, part of the back of the house.  Signal varies with atmospherics, but ranges anywhere from sixty (60) to ninety (90) percent.

Isn't this what the Slingbox device does?

Surprisingly enough (to me, anyway), I'd not heard of the Slingbox before  :huh:, but then, I'm not very much into TV most of the time ... just wanna keep the guests happy  :-\ :P.  'Bout the only time I watch, other than Football or Olympic stuff, is if an old musical is on or one of the old sci-fi bits, preferably black-and-white - love Richard Carlson  :P.

My primary concern was getting the cable signal to the TV, but seems as though the Slingbox  apparatus will take care of that.  I'd already considered a powerline system, but that will wait 'til I see if wireless will work.  No need for the powerline stuff if wireless works OK.  Appears this could be much simpler than I had thought.

<aside>
Lately, I'm finding it near impossible to keep up with all the hardware/tech coming out ... and I don't thimk age is the issue  :-\ ;D.
</aside>