ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good coding conventions - Discussion

<< < (5/8) > >>

Renegade:
I've had people define scope as "good". I mean that quite literally. Huh? Yep. Not a joke.

TaoPhoenix:
I've had people define scope as "good". I mean that quite literally. Huh? Yep. Not a joke.
-Renegade (December 30, 2012, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good scope is good! What's the problem? Who are you to argue with Good Scope?  :)

40hz:
When pushed, I'l use dashes. When did the battle over Dashes vs Underscores happen? Does someone have a nice meaty 3000 word blog to link to?
-TaoPhoenix (December 30, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was always under the impression that back when coding was mostly done on a slightly fuzzy green screen in all upper case that most programmers felt that:

THIS_IS_SOMETHING

was more obvious and easier to read than:

THIS-IS-SOMETHING

At least I remember being told to use underscores rather than hyphens when I was doing things in BSD "because_that_was_the_way_it's_done."

There was also something about the hyphen being an official part of ASCII - whereas the underscore was not. But I forget why some people felt that was significant. Probably had something to do with the underscore being considered more a 'dealer's choice' sort of thing, whereas the hyphen was already spoken for.

Then I got into networking and you soon learned that some implementations of DNS and NETBIOS (and possibly early versions of AD?) had huge problems with names containing underscores. So much so that it often resulted in a broken network when they encountered them. So the word then became never to use underscores (with Microsoft) until Redmond finally got that fixed quite a bit later. However, some network devices still have problems with underscores to this day - so for network applications and environments, underscores are best avoided. But I don't think any of that was ever much of an issue with general programming unless one or the other character was illegal or reserved by the specific language.

FWIW - in most network situations I avoid using both those characters.

8)

Jibz:
Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but AFAIR hyphens were not (originally) allowed in filenames on CDs (ISO_9660w from 1988).

Stoic Joker:
FWIW - in most network situations I avoid using both those characters.-40hz (December 31, 2012, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version