ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Suggestions for a RSS reader

(1/1)

MrCrispy:
My goal is to use the RSS reader as a one stop app for all my news reading/searching etc. I've tried a number of them - web based such as Feedly, and desktop like RssOwl, FeedDemon, and none seem to meet my needs. This is what I want -

1. offline support. Download all the feed content, including comments, images etc, so it can be viewed anytime. I want the app to act as a cache of the blog, essentially.
2. syncing - whether it is via Google Reader, or their own service. So things like unread, favorites, saved searches/filters can sync
3. Portable mode if possible
4. Support for comments to be seen inside the app

#1 seems like the hardest to do. Some of the apps have an offline mode but it seems to act like a web browser cache, i.e if I need to reinstall the app, then its lost. There are a lot of important blogs, and my goal is to keep their content available to me by saving it, and also use the reader as a way to manage them, search, filter etc.

KynloStephen66515:
1. offline support. Download all the feed content, including comments, images etc, so it can be viewed anytime. I want the app to act as a cache of the blog, essentially.
--- End quote ---

People go offline?

I just use Opera Feed...I think this has most of the above options.

40hz:
I've long since given up on something that's all-in-one.

These days I use the Sage extension in Firefox as my RSS reader and save what I want to keep to my Pocket (formerly ReadItLater) account or using Scrapbook depending on what it is.

None of the above have much in the way of bells & whistles.

Which is exactly the way I like it. YMMV. ;)

MrCrispy:
--- End quote ---

People go offline?

I just use Opera Feed...I think this has most of the above options.

-Stephen66515 (December 23, 2012, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't go offline that much, but blogs/websites certainly do! Many times I've opened a bookmark only to find the content is no longer there. So I want to save it, but keep it organized.

I do use Scrapbook for exactly this purpose, but it imposes its own structure and is hard to sync. I've tried syncing it using Dropbox and it didn't work too well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version