ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis Backup

<< < (4/6) > >>

edbro:
Which is what I thought I did... But... Apparently Acronis deletes backups without asking... Not happy. I had a perfectly configured system... in a deleted backup.  :mad:
-Renegade (December 24, 2012, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't even have it installed. I installed it only long enough to create the boot disk. I only make images from the boot disk.

40hz:
I no longer trust "traditional" backups and backup software after one too many bad surprises.

I'll do partition images - or sync directories - when I want to protect data. Or (occasionally) set up a RAID-1 mirror on two drives if something can't allow for any downtime. (Note: RAID-1 is not as foolproof as we'd sometimes hope.)

For images I pretty much exclusively use the FOSS product Clonezilla. It's a little "geek" as far as its looks and operation goes. But so am I - so I don't really have a problem with that.

For sync I still prefer rsync (and products built on top of it such as DeltaCopy) over all others. The ability to sync to a remote location (including via SSH) makes rsync worth its weight in gold to me.

For portable sync use, my current fav is Zback. Not to say it wouldn't work just as well running on a regular desktop. I use this to keep the data on my USB sticks backed up to my network since I don't do "cloud" when it comes to anything personal or client related.
 8)

CleverCat:
The only thing I use True Image for is to create a base image of new OS installs. I like to install windows, activate it and tweak it just the way I like it. Then I add a few essential utilities and image it. Now, I can have a fresh Windows install applied in only a matter of minutes.
-edbro (December 24, 2012, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do the same!

Renegade - AFAIK Acronis only deletes backups if u configure it that way - I still have my install backup from 9 months ago, and I do a daily backup and told Acronis to only keep 3 most recent copies. It works for me.... :D

cranioscopical:
FWIW I changed to Macrium Reflect. I know that it works for me — a few times I've found it faster to wipe/restore than sort out time-wasting issues.

Darwin:
Hi Chris, thank you for the heads up about Macrium Reflect - taking a look at it now. What I used to use Acronis for, for the most part, was to create several images:
1. base windows install
2. Windows with updates and essential software installed
3. Windows with updates, essential software, and everything else installed - stable

That way, I could always go back to a working configuration. Macrium might be good for #3 on my list; if I have to reinstall Windows in the future I'll be in a position to create #1 and #2 at that time.

Cheers  :Thmbsup:

PS also checking out Clonezilla AND hadn't noticed that edbro and Clevercat both posted essentially the same "usage" for Acronis/Cloning products as I did, so this post should have been a +1!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version