ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis Backup

(1/6) > >>

Renegade:
Well, I am very unimpressed with Acronis.

I got sick of my Windows installation and problems, so I figured I'd restore it to a previously good config. I've got Acronis, so no problem, right? Wrong.

None of the backups except for the earliest one were good. Acronis apparently randomly deletes portions of the backups. So, if you actually want to make use of the software, you have to back up your backups. How silly is that?

So, I'm currently reinstalling Visual Studio, and will spend the next god-knows-how-long reinstalling numerous programs I need to work.

Very unimpressed.

Darwin:
Hi Renegade - I gave up on Acronis in summer 2011. I dutifully paid my yearly maintenance fee in the spring and later in the year *tried* to upgrade to Backup&Recovery 2012. What a nighmare! It just refused to install/run properly (no longer remember precise details). Thank God I only paid $18 for the year's maintenance... I now rely on backups of my files. If I have to reinstall Windows, I will. It's quick and easy anyway and I've pared down installed programs to next to nothing.

Carol Haynes:
As far as I can see anything since TrueImage 9 Workstation (which was the corporate version) has been riddled with deal breaking bugs.

I can't see how they are still trading! I presume most people never actually have to use a backup so they assume they are OK.

God knows what their server products are like!

x16wda:
Eesh, Acronis.  I wonder how many different commercial backups programs we have all used and discarded over the years?  Acronis, Macrium, GoBack, Back Up My PC, etc etc.

FWIW I've been using Paragon software for years, personally and for work, both backups and full restores, and its various releases haven't failed me yet.  Biggest score was getting a free upgrade to the server technician license just before they started making them expire.

Darwin:
Yes, good point x16wda. I've recently given up on using Genie Timeline and Oops! Recovery Backup as well (wasn't using them at the same time!). They both worked but were, to varying degrees, detrimental to the performance of my computer. I use Syncovery (used to be Super Flexible File) to backup my data, important program settings, and files. Works like a charm  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version