ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Desktop parts list (RFC)

<< < (7/8) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Looks like it's an old, (by today's standards), Creative SB Audigy card that's been added - whatever software you're using is most likely leveraging the DSP on it.

Most modern CPUs would probably at least give it a run for it's money, especially given they can probably utilise their onboard stream processors to do the job.
-4wd (January 11, 2013, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh - which is just fine! It's after all a rig from 2006. First gen quad core, and for the time it was an inexpensive touch that has proven useful. But even if modern cpu's could race it, if the cpu needs to do other things, then it's nice to have that as a different process. But thanks for confirming that I'm not a blithering twit! I knew we did *something*.  : ) 

The software is simple Audacity, and I only use about five features - the stuff I do is pretty simple, but I do a decent chunk of it.

40hz:
^The Audigy/SB line were great sounding soundcards. Nothing wrong with having one of those in your rig IMO. I think they sound noticeably better than the onboard audio chips found on most modern mobos. Sad to see they're tomb-stoning all support for all of them with Windows 7. (An EE I know said there's no reason why they couldn't continue to work with just about anything. They're extremely well-designed devices.)

Too bad Creative made such great hardware and such problematic drivers and software. If they had gotten their act together on that score I don't think you'd have seen onboard audio take off the way it did on desktop PCs.
 8)

TaoPhoenix:
^The Audigy/SB line were great sounding soundcards. Nothing wrong with having one of those in your rig IMO. I think they sound noticeably better than the onboard audio chips found on most modern mobos. Sad to see they're tomb-stoning all support for all of them with Windows 7. (An EE I know said there's no reason why they couldn't continue to work with just about anything. They're extremely well-designed devices.)

Too bad Creative made such great hardware and such problematic drivers and software. If they had gotten their act together on that score I don't think you'd have seen onboard audio take off the way it did on desktop PCs.
 8)
-40hz (January 11, 2013, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

However, one interesting little footnote is that EMET notifier is a relatively new addition from this year, and it squawks about the Creative applet that starts when I boot, and shuts it down. I'm not sure what to make of that.

40hz:
it squawks about the Creative applet that starts when I boot, and shuts it down. I'm not sure what to make of that.
-TaoPhoenix (January 11, 2013, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

The EMET notifier is part of Microsoft's extended mitigation experience toolkit. It's designed to detect exploitable and hack-vulnerable code on your system. Which is not the same thing as malware. It's just code that has the potential to be compromised by something or somebody else.

It's probably complaining about CTLTask.exe

CTLTask.exe lets you ditz with your EAX effects on the soundcard. It's not something you need to have running at startup (or probably any other time :two:) so I'd just disable it from autostarting with msconfig or a similar utility. You can always launch it later if you ever do want to play with it.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

4wd:
The software is simple Audacity, and I only use about five features - the stuff I do is pretty simple, but I do a decent chunk of it.-TaoPhoenix (January 11, 2013, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I might be wrong but I don't think Audacity does any hardware accelerated processing, (ie. it doesn't make use of any DSPs), so the CPU will be doing it all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version