topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: New Desktop parts list (RFC)  (Read 20597 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Desktop parts list (RFC)
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:27 PM »
I'm building a new desktop with a budget of around $1100.  My current dekstop is going on six years old (single-core Athlon) and I've been out of the hardware loop for at least that long.   :D  So, with that in mind, I'd like any comments and/or suggestions on the following parts list I've assembled:

Case ($79.99):
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case

Power Supply ($89.99):
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Motherboard ($139.99):
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU ($219.99):
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

RAM ($84.99):
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GSR

Video Card ($299.99):
GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SSD ($199.99):
Intel 330 Series SSDSC2CT240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CPU Cooler ($29.99):
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

I have plenty of spare hard drives laying around so I've no need to buy one for this build.  Also, no need for monitors, mouse, keyboard, or speakers as I'll be using my current ones for this.  Finally, I have legitimate Windows licenses from a TechNet subscription so no need for that extra cost.

Thank you for any and all command and/or suggestions.  I really appreciate them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:58 PM by skwire »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Desktop parts list (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Any reason you are going Intel over AMD?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:35 PM »
I ask, because of: http://www.amazon.co...cessor/dp/B005UBNLFK

Same price...2x the cores ;)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:37 PM »

I'm no AMD hater; my past four desktops have been AMD-based.  However, the research that I've done over the past several days led me to believe that the Intel options were stronger than the AMD options at this point in time.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Also...SSD:

http://www.ebuyer.co...-ssd-sdssdp-256g-g25

Specification
Capacity: 256GB
Interface: SATA-III
Operating temperature: 0°C to 70°C
Power active: 0.6W
Shock resistant: 1500G @ 0.5 m/sec
Vibration: 2.17g RMS, 5-700 MHz
Support: 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Performance
Sequential Read (up to): 490MB/s
Sequential Write (up to): 350MB/s
Random Read (up to): 7300 IOPS
Random Write (up to): 2200 IOPS
MTBF: 2.0M hrs

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Looks outstanding  :up:

Is memory really that damn cheap?  If so I'd recommend spending more on memory.  I'm sure there is a way to spend more -- either go up to 16gb or get "faster" ram.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Is memory really that damn cheap?  If so I'd recommend spending more on memory.  I'm sure there is a way to spend more -- either go up to 16gb or get "faster" ram.

I'd recommend more RAM over faster RAM - you're not likely to notice a slightly lower latency unless all you do is run benchmarks.

eg. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:35 AM »

Recent generations of AMD hardware have almost entirely lost the performance marketplace. Today AMD CPUs are reserved for Wal-Mart discount systems, although AMD GPUs are rooted in the former ATI line and offer top notch video performance.

Hopefully AMD rebounds their CPU line soon, otherwise Intel might end up with an actual monopoly on CPU technology.

The past few days I have been working with a CAD workstation build spec as point of fact. These machines have to combine raw number crunching power with a GPU designed for 3D modelling and CAD rendering. Build target is only $1000 each, minus OS I am just over $800:

Intel I53550 3.3GHz Ivy Bridge
8GB DDR3-1600
Intel 128GB SSD- This may seem small, but these machines should only store their OS and installed software locally. Userdata and work related materials are stored on the server's RAID filesystem
AMD FirePro V4900 GPU- One of the applications requires an AMD Firepro series GPU for proper rendering support of complex designs. Note that this is a CAD rendering GPU, and will give poor performance when gaming.

For the case I usually pick up something practical and under $50, while the PSU is normally around 400W with a target cost of only $70. Newer CPUs don't require nearly as much power as the Prescott era P4HTs which ran on 400W PSUs without issue, so the only other really power-hungry piece of hardware is the GPU.

Also 8GB of DDR3 is all of $35 now (2x4GB). I'd definitely go higher if you can afford it, the build I am working with probably will do likewise once I figure out how close to the build target I am when I have the rest of the pieces included. At the moment it lacks a HSF specification and will need a bay converter to put the SSD into a hard drive bay.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 06:21 AM »
Simple: Less heat, more speed! :up:

@Skwire
As others said: Go for 16 GB of RAM, Windows 7 runs better with that amount.

And: You could do with a somewhat less specced PSU, 500 - 550 Watt should be more than adequate, unless you have 3+ HDD's or a second high-powered graphics adapter to add.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 07:13 AM »
I'm speaking as an observer and not someone who puts together machines, but one possible reason to *way* over-spec on power supplies, is that it's so damn hard to diagnose and correct a problem if it turns out that the problem is caused by an under-powered power supply since it could happen sporadically and is so hard to replace, etc.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 08:20 AM »
+1 on maxing RAM.

Once you have that it really opens up the wonderful world of virtual machines for you. As in big time. This is one place where having 16Gb really makes a lot of sense.

Also +1 on power. Within reason, you really can't ever have enough. Running a PS with plenty of spare capacity also keeps the heat down.

Good choice on video. And if it turns out to be insufficient that's always the easiest thing to upgrade - so no worries there.

And yes, a MS subscription via TechNet, MSDN, or the Partner Advantage Pack is a genuine bargain. Especially if you're running multiple machines. But even if you only have one, it' still a really good deal. I'm surprised more enthusiasts don't take advantage of those.

I'm mixed on SSDs unless you really need them. (If you do - you know who you are. :mrgreen:) Quality can be a little dicey with some brands/models - and the jury is still somewhat out on long-term reliability - although it doesn't look like it's gonna be a problem from what we're seeing.

I'd probably move the money from the SSD into a snazzier video card after I maxed out the RAM. But that's just me - and your primary uses are likely to be different than mine. ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:26 AM by 40hz »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:38 AM »
On the PSU, most PSUs have a "peak performance" zone - you want to buy a PSU that will be in that zone for most of the time you use the computer. So it should be a bit overpowered but not too overpowered, else you will be in a less optimal zone on PSU usage.

I didn't spend a lot of time digging through details and reviews and calculations, though.

I've just recently redone my husband's PC with that very board (Sept) - he's an AMD-predisposed guy but I went intel as well, and with that very motherboard. Great board.

One of the things I pay attention to is the power usage idle and in use. This is because I like my systems as quiet as can be.

If you read up, the power performance (from an energy use and therefore cooling/quietness point of view) of the Intel processors is better at the moment. Seems AMD didn't care about that aspect much. Lower idle consumption, lower full load consumption, it adds up to less energy bills but also less heat and therefore less noisy cooling needed.

On the other hand I went AMD for the graphics because at the time the power usage for the performance you get is better, especially in idle mode or when the screen is asleep but not the machine.

For info - happy to give details on the hardware or check things.
He's on Windows 8 on this machine and only the AMD graphics drivers give any kind of occasional trouble.

case: Antec Solo << all the noise/vibration features of the expensive Antec cases, at a more reasonable point, and looking, well, normal!
Graphics 1GB Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD rev2.0 H      << AMD radeon, sweet price point
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77           << great chipset, fab board, was already win8 ready when i bought it in September
Intel Core i3 3220, S 1155, Ivy Bridge   << was at the time great price, overclockable quite a bit (which i don't do, it goes back to "quiet".    
Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Quiet Low Pro    << great cooler
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance << i pay zero attention to memory details and performance, so this is just what looked good, no research.

Only went for 8Gb, although if he starts coding/compiling again I'll up the memory and CPU (not holding my breath). But RAM prices had gone up and it is easy to upgrade later, so I made my compromise. Even in games, not noticing that RAM is a limit at the moment

For comparison, here's my spec - whereas husband's is all new, mine is a mix of stuff I'd bought a year before or earlier this year

Antec Solo Case << had already
Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3, Intel Z77,
750W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10
Plextor PX-891SA 24x DVD±R, 12x DVD  
Intel Core i5 2500k << had already
8GB Ram (don't even remember)
Intel 320 80GB ssd drive SATA II (filled to about 45-50, boot drive only)
WD Caviar Black 2Tb SATA III (files, games, apps)
Scythe shuriken low profile
HIS HD 6870 IceQ X Turbo << had already

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:40 AM »
I assume you have a spare sata drive you are also going to put into the pc -- if not i'd recommend you get a nice big sata as well.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.  I ended going with my original list except with 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Mouser asked me post a few pics of the final build so here you go:

Apologies for the photo quality as they were taken with my phone.  Also, that Fractal R4 case was simply superb to work with.  Beautiful, understated case.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37 PM »
I forget exactly what it was called, but I think I had my buddy put in a second special purpose data processing chip of some kind especially for media conversion. Top 10 of my hobbies is fiddling with songs - changing speed and tempo and adding echo. Last I recall it wasn't all that expensive, and I think it's faster than just ordinary processing at the time, though of course with Moore's Law and all, 6 years later, maybe it doesn't matter but at the time I noticed an improvement over an older single core comp.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 01:18 AM »
a few pics of the final build so here you go:
You did a fine job there, nice and clean :up:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 04:43 AM »
Good job on cabling - you pleased with it now it is done?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 08:39 AM »
You did a fine job there, nice and clean :up:

Good job on cabling - you pleased with it now it is done?

Thanks.  The cable management grommets in the case made it really easy to achieve a clean look.  And, yes, I'm pleased with it.  Let's just say that when I am king, SSDs for all my people.  Man, what a difference that device makes.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I forget exactly what it was called, but I think I had my buddy put in a second special purpose data processing chip of some kind especially for media conversion.

I'd be very interested in learning more about that. Any possibility of getting additional details? :)

And an absolutely brilliant build btw! :Thmbsup: Love how clean the internal cabling is.  :-*

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10 AM »
The clutter beast appears to be in another universe  :up:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 01:25 PM »
I just upgraded to an Intel 520 series 240GB SSD in my 4.5 year old notebook (trying to squeeze another 9 or 10 months out of it) and I have to agree with skwire: SSD's for everyone  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I just upgraded to an Intel 520 series 240GB SSD in my 4.5 year old notebook (trying to squeeze another 9 or 10 months out of it) and I have to agree with skwire: SSD's for everyone  :Thmbsup:

+1 again.  It borders on ridiculous how much snappier that device makes things.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 05:37 PM »
I forget exactly what it was called, but I think I had my buddy put in a second special purpose data processing chip of some kind especially for media conversion.

I'd be very interested in learning more about that. Any possibility of getting additional details? :)

Not quite so easily - I'm no techie and I'm not going to open the case myself, and 1-chance in 5 I could even be a deluded old git! : )   But if you know of a "hardware listing" program that lists all hardware installed in a machine, I can run that and you guys can poke at the results.  :  )

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 05:56 PM »

Not quite so easily - I'm no techie and I'm not going to open the case myself, and 1-chance in 5 I could even be a deluded old git! : )   But if you know of a "hardware listing" program that lists all hardware installed in a machine, I can run that and you guys can poke at the results.  :  )

LookInMyPC is free, easy to use, and doesn't need an airline pilot's license to figure it out. It can create a comprehensive hardware profile report. It does a lot more too.  It's a nice utility to keep on hand. :)