ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yet another reason why a Kickstarter project may fail

<< < (2/2)

TaoPhoenix:
Well, looking at the comments, even with a full refund, a lot of them aren't happy.  :-\
-wraith808 (December 21, 2012, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say some of that might be emotional cost. If you are Kickstarting (aka contributing) you become excited and want something to succeed. Then when it crashes and even if you get your money back, you've lost that excitement, and too many times later, it becomes tiring.

40hz:
In yet another capricious reversal, Apple changes its position once again.

In an article over at The Verge comes this news:

Yesterday we reported on the POP charging station, an iPhone Kickstarter project run by Jamie Siminoff that had announced it would not be going through with production because Apple's guidelines wouldn't allow it — but now Apple has responded, and that doesn't quite seem to be the case. Apple spokesperson Tom Neumayr told us that the an earlier version of its iOS accessory guidelines had indeed prevented the use of both 30-pin and Lightning connectors on the same device — a selling point of the charging station — due to "technical issues," but that those problems had been solved and the guidelines since changed...
--- End quote ---

Or have they?

We spoke again with Edison Baby's Jamie Siminoff, who said that he was feeling "much better" after hearing the news about the changes. Should the current guidelines allow the POP to be built as originally pitched, he said, then "1,000 percent we will make it." Siminoff and his team will be talking to the factory they were planning to use to manufacture the product, and will make a formal announcement in around 10 days.

He did exercise some caution, telling us that "What we're hearing right now is Apple PR and not the MFi group." (MFi is the licensing program that controls accessories made for Apple's iOS devices.)...
--- End quote ---

Be interesting to see where this ultimately goes.

wraith808:
Yes, it appears to be PR spin at the backlash.  And I'd take his words at face value, i.e. until they go through the approval process and they get a stamp of approval, don't count on it.

It does appear to be a cool device... not only charge all devices with the same device, but have backup power too?  Nice concept.

40hz:
^Very. I backed it. And I still want one. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version