ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video rant against Windows 8

<< < (5/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
That (the original post) is a BRILLIANT summary video of Windows 8 first impressions! Yes he uses hyperbole and it is made to entertain but I actually think his analysis is pretty spot on. OK you can get used to things but USABILTY should be getting better - not having to work on getting used to things!

(By the way the comments someone made earlier about touch interface is a misunderstanding - he wasn't using a touch interface - he was using a mouse - in the form of a touch pad - but some dufus included gestures on the mouse pad that just don';t belong there!)

I just installed Pro on my laptop and Office 2013 (WTF - why is it so HIDEOUSLY UGLY).

Everything requires a lot more clicks - even opening Word 2013 requires an extra click because it doesn't even open with a blank document!

The bloody Metro interface just keeps flipping up all the time when you are doing other things.

I am just so glad I kept an image backup of Windows 7 - I have a feeling it will either be used before too long or the laptop will be in pieces on my drive with a large hole in the window!

TaoPhoenix:
I wish Microsoft would have taken the boatload of money likely spent on Metro and instead given it all to... Mouser! MS should have simply brought in FARR and used it as start menu replacement.
-Nod5 (December 21, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is just ... terrifying! Because it might just work!
(Some restrictions apply. I have never tried FARR.)
But it's still funny.

MilesAhead:
I wish Microsoft would have taken the boatload of money likely spent on Metro and instead given it all to... Mouser! MS should have simply brought in FARR and used it as start menu replacement.
-Nod5 (December 21, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is just ... terrifying! Because it might just work!
(Some restrictions apply. I have never tried FARR.)
But it's still funny.
-TaoPhoenix (December 21, 2012, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not to mention all the puns it would generate. Like FARR-fig-newton,Lew-is-FARR-akan, FARR-a-fawcett etc..

Tinman57:
 I just came across this in a newsletter today.  Thought it would bring a little light to the subject....or not.  lol

Consumer Reports makes case for Windows 7 PCs
Windows 7 may be the better choice as a PC operating system on new systems than the just-released Windows 8, Consumer Reports magazine said this week.
--- End quote ---

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2022900/consumer-reports-makes-case-for-windows-7-pcs.html

Stoic Joker:
I just came across this in a newsletter today.  Thought it would bring a little light to the subject....or not.  lol

Consumer Reports makes case for Windows 7 PCs
Windows 7 may be the better choice as a PC operating system on new systems than the just-released Windows 8, Consumer Reports magazine said this week.
--- End quote ---

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2022900/consumer-reports-makes-case-for-windows-7-pcs.html
-Tinman57 (December 21, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Comments for the article were rather a rather sad lot of "experts" recommending that secure boot be turned off/removed/banned from existence. I'm sure malware authors world wide are giggling their asses off watching that bit of (mindblowingly stupid) advice spread across the land. As if it really that hard to switch the boot order for a diagnostic boot.

Anybody remember the (good old...) Win9x days when people called in constantly with "unbootable systems" because they left a blank CD in the drive? ...Bout the 3rd time you got that call from client X you switched the boot order on their machine to skip the optical drive...didn't ya? Now the diagnostic CD you put in won't boot... What's changed exactly?

Another favorite of mine is to reflexively encrypt everything. Recovery disk time ... Oh wait the drive is encrypted so it's pointless to boot externally as the data will still be unaccessible. Which means we need a boot menu why?  :-\

A year or so ago there was panic in the industry about a new breed of virus that could actually infect the hardware. People screamed about wanting the hardware protected properly (...the new version of properly that is).

Well now they have exactly that.

And they're pissed off about it.

That's like wanting a glass of water, getting a drink, and then protesting the merciless killing of your thirst.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version