ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox CPU usage

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
I opened a single new tab just now and FF momentarily popped up to 13%, and then back down to it's usual 0-2%.
When I initially start up FF it usually opens about 5+ pages (3 pinned + 2 or more unpinned, all from the session as it last closed), but I have it set to load tabs in background and it doesn't seem to lag.
Maybe there would be a lag if I had not set it that way.(?)
I shall experiment a bit and see.

4wd:
Palemoon 15.3.2 hits about 13% loading 6 tabs at once - I got it to hit 15% by opening 19 tabs at once, (Phenom 6 core).

Do you have hardware accelerated rendering enabled?

Options->Advanced->General->Use hardware acceleration when available

Just as a matter of interest, opening 65 tabs in Firefox 11.0 x86 on an Athlon 235e caused CPU to peak at ~50% until the tabs were loaded.

TaoPhoenix:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I do have hardware acceleration on FWIW.

However, In other days I had used copies of PaleMoon and I had run into other lag type problems so I went back to generic FF. (There have been related problems where I got lags simply scrolling up and down existing pages.) Though it would not hurt to re-try that branch again and see if their other improvements have caught up and helped.

I did discover a lot of old program-files folders custom saved back when I had about 4 versions of FF going t once (regular, Aurora, Nightly, and PaleMoon) so I deleted some cruft yesterday. So I'll keep fiddling and see what happens.

IainB:
I opened 8 more tabs in quick succession just now, and FF v18.0 beta presented no probs/lags (tab load in background).
I suspect that the lags you are experiencing may be peculiar to your configuration.

TaoPhoenix:
Good to know. I opened 8 more tabs in quick succession just now, and FF v18.0 beta presented no probs/lags (tab load in background).
I suspect that the lags you are experiencing may be peculiar to your configuration.

-IainB (December 22, 2012, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to know. By now it looks like my rig has a few quirks, but if it's "just me" at least I can try to fiddle some more to fix them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version