ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox CPU usage

(1/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

When I open new webpages, especially about 4-5 in a row, my cpu usage slams through the roof in Firefox. Is that normal? Do modern webpages use a lot of client-side rendering to save on server overhead? Or should I look at one of those alternative Firefox builds again?

rgdot:
Firefox high CPU and RAM usage is as old as the internet  ;) Every version promises improvements, to me the closest thing that comes close to helping is blocking flash as that seems to one of the biggest culprits.

Alternatives haven't made much of a difference to me.

Cloq:
Interesting.. I recently had a similar problem, in my case the issue turned out to be that my "prefs.js" file in my firefox profile folder, had ballooned to 250+ MB. My assumption is that somehow it was corrupted. I restored a backed copy of it (150KB) and now Firefox is zippy again, no high cpu/mem usage.

IainB:
My experience of Firefox (I have the latest version auto-updated via the ß channel, and FF is set to auto-feedback to the developers) is that FF is usually rock-solid, and ß updates are released rapidly if the developers become aware of any problems in a release. Otherwise, if anything seems to go "wrong" with FF, it is invariably something peripheral to the application. Typically, one or more of the add-ons have not been able to be updated to keep in step with the latest ß version.
As an example, I have had some recurring and annoying problems with tabs for months, and after the latest ß update they got really bad. In desperation, I disabled half of the add-ons (including all the add-ons that affected tabs) and then progressively re-enabled them. The problems entirely disappeared, and I have no idea why.

As for speed, FF seems to be very fast. FF occupies little CPU, and because I run cache from RAM it is made even faster - or at least as fast as it could probably be. As I write this, FF CPU usage is flickering between 0-2% (max). I have 7 tabs open, 3 of which are permanently pinned/open - the Add-ons page, Gmail, and Google Reader.
Bandwidth doesn't seem to be a problem. I normally use a wifi access (n-type 802.11n) to connect to the router. On the odd-occasion I have tried a cable connection to the router, the response time seems pretty much the same either way. I haven't properly tested the current configuration's up/down load speed limits via wifi and cable.

TaoPhoenix:
As I write this, FF CPU usage is flickering between 0-2% (max). I have 7 tabs open, 3 of which are permanently pinned/open - the Add-ons page, Gmail, and Google Reader.
-IainB (December 21, 2012, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Iain,

In this particular thread case, it's about opening new pages. If I open about 4-5 of them in a row, my CPU gets slammed while they all try to render. Usage does tend to go down later, it's just about new pages, because it lags the whole comp while it renders out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version