topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Facebook floating the idea of charging $1 per "prioritized message"  (Read 4018 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, the Monetization is picking up steam. Facebook wants to charge a buck to route a message out of "other" into your "inbox". This just means that if spammers will spam, they just need money to do it.

Let's see, looking among the links to post, if I can find an intelligent article...

This one's not bad:
http://gadgets.ndtv....o-non-friends-308165

"Facebook contended that it was making a priority of developing ways to profit from posts shared between friends at the social network.

Facebook sparked a rebellion of Instagram users this week with proposed policy changes intended to improve the ability to make money from the smartphone photo sharing service it bought this year.

Instagram backed off the policy changes in the face of the backlash."

Edit: Fark's summary:
"Facebook: Okay, so we built this absurd mail system that often sends messages to an "other" folder that most people don't even know about. But no worries, we've got a new system where, for $1, users can make sure their mail goes to the right place"

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:27 AM by TaoPhoenix »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Facebook floating the idea of charging $1 per "prioritized message"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Looks like system similar to Mailing list providers. Only thing is that they are letting strangers to send message to you. It's like bribing your apartments security guard to let salesman knock your door.

dtsouers

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Derek.Souers.Org
    • View Profile
    • Derek Souers - Senior .Net Web Sofware Developer
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:32 PM »
I read something the other day that Verizon might do the same with text messages.
Take a look at my website of Derek Souers - Senior .Net Web Sofware Developer:
http://derek.souers.org

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Without an actual link to something newsworthy (like the privacy policy in the other row), I'm not sure this isn't anything other than something to get people up in arms.  Is there a link to some smoking gun from facebook?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Without an actual link to something newsworthy (like the privacy policy in the other row), I'm not sure this isn't anything other than something to get people up in arms.  Is there a link to some smoking gun from facebook?

Well, if you mean you would like something directly from Facebook and not (potentially) inflammatory analysis blogs, let's see...

http://newsroom.fb.c...Messaging-and-a-Test
Though it's a little vague on the $1 per message part per se - they dressed it up  bit more in PR language.