topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: firefox addon that allows you to open links in new windows  (Read 2801 times)

~Coxy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone!
I have a bit of an odd situation. (I'll freely admit that it's quite odd...)
I hate tabbed browsing. The way I like to browse websites is to use multiple windows. Unfortunately, most browsers aren't really geared towards that style anymore. Safari is the only one that allows you to do this, and it's discontinued.

I don't know if anyone here knows any XUL, or how hard it would be to do this (hopefully quite easy), or if it is even possible? (hopefully it is!)
But what I would really really like is an Addon that changes the middle-click action. Instead of opening that link in a new tab, it should open that link in a new window behind the current window.

The nearest thing I've found is https://addons.mozil.../addon/open-link-in/
"Open Link in Background Window" does exactly what I want!
But there is no way to make it the default action :(

Thanks for reading!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: firefox addon that allows you to open links in new windows
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21 AM »
It won't open them in the background but if you go to about:config and search for browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick and change it to False, (double-click on it), then any time you middle-click a link it should open a new window.