ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2013

NANY 2013: Release - PRNter Widget

<< < (2/2)

techidave:
I agree with Mouser.  just a smaller audience.  If I did alot of repairs on printers, I would be interested.  Your other printer utility was great and I still use it.

Stoic Joker:
Not a flop just a smaller audience of potential users :)-mouser (December 27, 2012, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know - That's kinda what I meant - It's an excruciatingly specialized/narrow focus utility.  :)

Ath:
If I did alot of repairs on printers, I would be interested.
-techidave (December 27, 2012, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1 :up:

But our tech staff ain't gonna like it if I use this tool on our networked printers ;D

Stoic Joker:
If I did alot of repairs on printers, I would be interested.
-techidave (December 27, 2012, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1 :up:

But our tech staff ain't gonna like it if I use this tool on our networked printers ;D
-Ath (December 28, 2012, 03:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but like any tool it depends on what you do with it. Honestly I'm not really sure how common/popular (stored print job) .PRN files are. But if one had a complex-ish print job with lots of requirements that had to be configured frequently. Then doing it once and printing it to a reusable Print job file would be a handy and acceptable (e.g. no flaming admin heads) usage of the program. Granted outside of testing done on/for pWidget I've never done it before ...(*Shrug*)... But Google seems to imply that it is a popular practice.

Actually the primary purpose for pWidget was to interact with/make adjustments to locally attached (USB/Parallel port) printers. Which is why it uses the installed driver to access the device. So pWidget will work on any (laser) printer either locally attached or network accessible if there is a (PCL) driver installed for it. This was/is Page Countster's weakness as it can only access networked printers via their IP. Now parallel printers can be accessed via LPTx to send a script ... But USB (Unilaterally pSychotic Bus) leave everyone stranded with a "virtual port" that can only be directly access by virtually nothing. So this brilliant technology now requires that:

* The tech to track down someone from IT (which can take up to an hour because IT people tend to be busy, and hate printers).
* Administrative rights to create a (temporary) printer share on the workstation (highly frowned upon by IT folks on large networks).
* Someone to remember how to capture a printer port so it behaves like a LPTx hard port.
* Someone to properly unwind said configuration after the fact so errors and eyebrows don't get raised going forward.
This can be an agonizing amount of time for what should be a 2 second operation. We've actually had techs need to reschedule a second visit on many occasions just to resolve these type of issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version