ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Instagram can sell your photos, but you won't get paid or told.

<< < (2/3) > >>

rgdot:
When I got interviewed for a physical newspaper they took my picture and content to them is money, in fact that's the only thing they have to make money.
Devil's advocate here but all these services, your stuff is their only 'income'. Just because they may use your picture as backgrounds in their ads doesn't change it all that much.

fenixproductions:
From other side of the fence:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780158/instagrams-new-terms-of-service-what-they-really-mean

TaoPhoenix:
I just use Impression on my iPhone to add a copyright notice on my images... can't sell/use them then
-c.gingerich (December 18, 2012, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Chris,

What I think is going on here is that maybe TOS (however evil) overrides usual basic copyright protections. But that is far from clear to me, Not-A-Lawyer and all that, just an impression. Ordinarily you don't even need a copyright notice to gain copyright protection, so all these new TOS terms seem to override all that anyway.

c.gingerich:
Very true, but can't hurt to add it. It's fun to do sometimes also :-). I'm not going to stop using instagram just because FB took it over and add extra crap to the TOS.

Renegade:
From other side of the fence:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780158/instagrams-new-terms-of-service-what-they-really-mean
-fenixproductions (December 18, 2012, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

The new terms actually make things clearer and — importantly — more limited. That "on, about, or in conjunction" with language is dead and gone. Now you're only agreeing that someone else can pay Instagram to display your photos and other information only in connection with paid or sponsored content. These phrases have very specific meanings — Instagram can't sell your photos to anyone, for example. It simply doesn't have permission. And Budweiser isn't allowed to crop your photo of a bar, slap a logo on it, and run it as an ad on Instagram — that would go well beyond "display" and into modification, which Instagram doesn't have a license to do
--- End quote ---

Seems like splitting hairs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version