topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Instagram can sell your photos, but you won't get paid or told.  (Read 10055 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, looks like Instagram will lose 80-90% of its user-base due to a new policy update which will become effective on the 16th January 2013.

Instagram, which was recently acquired by Facebook, has announced that it is updating its terms of service and privacy policy. Some of the new changes, that will be effective on January 16, 2013, have sparked off protests from users.

The new terms of service and privacy policy will bring them in line with Facebook's policies. In a post on its blog, Instagram assured users that, "nothing has changed about your photos' ownership or who can see them" and added that the "updated privacy policy helps Instagram function more easily as part of Facebook by being able to share info between the two groups. This means we can do things like fight spam more effectively, detect system and reliability problems more quickly, and build better features for everyone by understanding how Instagram is used."

Though Instagram in the blog post says that the "updated terms of service help protect you, and prevent spam and abuse as we grow," it does not highlight the clause 2 under Rights which says, "Some or all of the Service may be supported by advertising revenue. To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."

What this means, is that Instagram/Facebook, can SELL YOUR Artwork/Photos, and not tell you, or even compensate you for doing so.

Users have taken to Social Media sites to voice their outrage:

@lostart: Dear Instagram, please change your name to more adequately portray your abusive terms of service: instaGRAB!

@kidzrevil: So instagram is turning itself into a stock photo agency. A stock photo is kinda like a template a company could buy to make an ad with.

@justimage: Not surprised Facebook's Instagram is evil. Sadly, I think people will still use it. Big blow to photographers.

@prague360: Goodbye instagram. I'm uninstalling you now. I never want to see you again

@ReformedBroker: Facebook's terms of service changes to Instagram are hilarious. It's like they want us to hate them

@markonen: I am basically trusting that enough of you guys will delete your Instagram accounts to reverse the policy without me having to do anything.

@bozoskeleton: Never been happier that I don't Instagram: now they want to sell users' photos because they own them!

@buzzbishop: Just in case you thought @instagram was trustworthy and wont do evil, look what they did to

@jdross: Heh... apparently even Zuckerberg's wedding photographer isn't a fan of the new Instagram.

@MarcelloNine: I guess Instagram has wrote their suicide note!
-www.twitter.com

Source: http://ibnlive.in.co...-told/311130-11.html

Awfki

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Instagram can sell your photos, but you won't get paid or told.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:37 PM »
I only started using Instagram a few days ago.  Today I closed my account and emailed them to let them know why.

Hally

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • crazy doodle lady
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:23 PM »
i have been on instagram for a while now and i found this out an went on a deleting mission an after deleting 50 pictures it wont let me delete any more :( think they noticed that lots of people have twigged on an hit a button stoppin anyone fro deleting their stuff once i have removed all my pictures i will be deleting my profile :) if they let me haha

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:59 PM »
an after deleting 50 pictures it wont let me delete any more :(
To be fair, this could be anti-griefing protection for hacked accounts.
- carpe noctem

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:00 PM »
I just use Impression on my iPhone to add a copyright notice on my images... can't sell/use them then

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:18 PM »
When I got interviewed for a physical newspaper they took my picture and content to them is money, in fact that's the only thing they have to make money.
Devil's advocate here but all these services, your stuff is their only 'income'. Just because they may use your picture as backgrounds in their ads doesn't change it all that much.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:37 PM »
From other side of the fence:
http://www.theverge....hat-they-really-mean

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:05 PM »
I just use Impression on my iPhone to add a copyright notice on my images... can't sell/use them then

Hi Chris,

What I think is going on here is that maybe TOS (however evil) overrides usual basic copyright protections. But that is far from clear to me, Not-A-Lawyer and all that, just an impression. Ordinarily you don't even need a copyright notice to gain copyright protection, so all these new TOS terms seem to override all that anyway.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Very true, but can't hurt to add it. It's fun to do sometimes also :-). I'm not going to stop using instagram just because FB took it over and add extra crap to the TOS.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:29 PM »
From other side of the fence:
http://www.theverge....hat-they-really-mean
-fenixproductions (December 18, 2012, 04:37 PM)

The new terms actually make things clearer and — importantly — more limited. That "on, about, or in conjunction" with language is dead and gone. Now you're only agreeing that someone else can pay Instagram to display your photos and other information only in connection with paid or sponsored content. These phrases have very specific meanings — Instagram can't sell your photos to anyone, for example. It simply doesn't have permission. And Budweiser isn't allowed to crop your photo of a bar, slap a logo on it, and run it as an ad on Instagram — that would go well beyond "display" and into modification, which Instagram doesn't have a license to do

Seems like splitting hairs.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Very true, but can't hurt to add it. It's fun to do sometimes also :-). I'm not going to stop using instagram just because FB took it over and add extra crap to the TOS.

"Hey look, the Music industry has declared that copyrighted items are worth $175,000 each! But you're giving them to us for free. Thanks, Instagram subsidiary of Facebook."  
: )

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:35 PM »
P.S. gang don't miss the "Apology" (or something) they posted. Basically "... our 'intention' (whatever that is!) is to not sell your content..." .

Slashdot cued the usual range of disbelief at a change in TOS that lets them do it, with a PR blog post claiming "we'll be nice".
http://blog.instagra...u-and-were-listening
http://yro.slashdot....ont-sell-your-photos

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Well google is doing that with the image search for quite some time. Check the new image search update, they are making it harder for the image owners to get credit and more easy for the people to grab images from other sites with interaction between gogole and surfer and no credit to the original site owner. This type of update doesn't make it any different than instagrams policy.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Apparently they've backed down: http://blog.chasejar...s-against-your-will/

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Welcome to the cloud everybody! It's only a matter of time before you get screwed. facebook/instagram make AOL look like the good ol' days.