ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Instagram can sell your photos, but you won't get paid or told.

(1/3) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Well, looks like Instagram will lose 80-90% of its user-base due to a new policy update which will become effective on the 16th January 2013.

Instagram, which was recently acquired by Facebook, has announced that it is updating its terms of service and privacy policy. Some of the new changes, that will be effective on January 16, 2013, have sparked off protests from users.

The new terms of service and privacy policy will bring them in line with Facebook's policies. In a post on its blog, Instagram assured users that, "nothing has changed about your photos' ownership or who can see them" and added that the "updated privacy policy helps Instagram function more easily as part of Facebook by being able to share info between the two groups. This means we can do things like fight spam more effectively, detect system and reliability problems more quickly, and build better features for everyone by understanding how Instagram is used."

Though Instagram in the blog post says that the "updated terms of service help protect you, and prevent spam and abuse as we grow," it does not highlight the clause 2 under Rights which says, "Some or all of the Service may be supported by advertising revenue. To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."
--- End quote ---

What this means, is that Instagram/Facebook, can SELL YOUR Artwork/Photos, and not tell you, or even compensate you for doing so.

Users have taken to Social Media sites to voice their outrage:

@lostart: Dear Instagram, please change your name to more adequately portray your abusive terms of service: instaGRAB!

@kidzrevil: So instagram is turning itself into a stock photo agency. A stock photo is kinda like a template a company could buy to make an ad with.

@justimage: Not surprised Facebook's Instagram is evil. Sadly, I think people will still use it. Big blow to photographers.

@prague360: Goodbye instagram. I'm uninstalling you now. I never want to see you again

@ReformedBroker: Facebook's terms of service changes to Instagram are hilarious. It's like they want us to hate them

@markonen: I am basically trusting that enough of you guys will delete your Instagram accounts to reverse the policy without me having to do anything.

@bozoskeleton: Never been happier that I don't Instagram: now they want to sell users' photos because they own them!

@buzzbishop: Just in case you thought @instagram was trustworthy and wont do evil, look what they did to

@jdross: Heh... apparently even Zuckerberg's wedding photographer isn't a fan of the new Instagram.

@MarcelloNine: I guess Instagram has wrote their suicide note!-www.twitter.com
--- End quote ---

Source: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/instagram-can-sell-your-photos-but-you-wont-get-paid-or-told/311130-11.html

Awfki:
I only started using Instagram a few days ago.  Today I closed my account and emailed them to let them know why.

Hally:
i have been on instagram for a while now and i found this out an went on a deleting mission an after deleting 50 pictures it wont let me delete any more :( think they noticed that lots of people have twigged on an hit a button stoppin anyone fro deleting their stuff once i have removed all my pictures i will be deleting my profile :) if they let me haha

f0dder:
an after deleting 50 pictures it wont let me delete any more :(-Hally (December 18, 2012, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
To be fair, this could be anti-griefing protection for hacked accounts.

c.gingerich:
I just use Impression on my iPhone to add a copyright notice on my images... can't sell/use them then

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version