Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 05:20:05 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: better XP Alt+Tab Task Switch  (Read 8027 times)
RedCat71
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:54:47 AM »

I would like a program that works like FARR (my greatest find in a long time) except it would be for task switching. It would have a hot key that would open a window with all running tasks listed and a number beside each one.  Pressing the number would change to that window.  Using the AltTab is frustrating to me because I usually have lots of windows open at a time and I often go past the one I want and have to cycle through all over again.

Maybe such a program already exists and I haven't found it.  I've searched for such a program and found several that are almost, but not quite what I would like.  Lots of them show little icons, but have no numbers.  I found one that used Function keys to choose a window but you had to use a Function key to open it and that key was disabled in all other programs; not good.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 03:13:50 AM by brotherS » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:20:18 AM »

welcome to the site redcat71!  Thmbsup

im looking forward to seeing if anyone knows any,
but one of the ideas for farr v2 is to add this functionality to farr, which is a nice idea.
the general idea is that you might be able to perform operations on running apps, including "switchto" and "kill"
noth(a)nk.you
Charter Member

More than meets the eye.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »

I often go past the one I want and have to cycle through all over again.

Note Alt+Shift+Tab moves backward through the list.  (Even so, I too usually cycle through again embarassed)
Black Mamba
Participant

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:22:05 PM »

Have you tried this one: http://www.ntwind.com/taskswitchxp/index.html
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »

Welcome, RedCat71!

I often go past the one I want and have to cycle through all over again.

Note Alt+Shift+Tab moves backward through the list.
Yes, Shift always works as the 'additional qualifier'. I use it all day long, not only with Alt+TAB but also with just TAB or Pos1/Home or End. Very helpful!

(Even so, I too usually cycle through again embarassed)
Grin Grin Grin

Thank you.
Catalin
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:48:04 AM »

I would like a program that works like FARR (my greatest find in a long time) except it would be for task switching. It would have a hot key that would open a window with all running tasks listed and a number beside each one.  Pressing the number would change to that window.  Using the AltTab is frustrating to me because I usually have lots of windows open at a time and I often go past the one I want and have to cycle through all over again.

XDESK ( http://xdesksoftware.com/ ) has a few task-switching and window-managing extensions - including a better ALT+TAB (SHIFT also goes back BUT you also have the key above TAB to do that - MUCH EASIER, CTRL shows some extra windows, also there is a QuickView and a TileView !!!
RedCat71
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:35:28 AM »

Yes, I've tried TaskswitchXP and it wasn't quite what I was looking for.  I don't remember the exact reason because I tried several in a short period and I don't remember the specifics of each one.

It would be great to have something added to FARR v2. 

I'll look at Xdesk.  Thanks.

This is the first time I've ever posted to a forum and I need to figure out how to have quotes in my replies.  I'll need to spend some time learning this stuff.   tellme
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »

try this alternative Alt-Tab replacement, coded in Autohotkey.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 04:10:46 AM »

try this alternative Alt-Tab replacement, coded in Autohotkey.
Amazing, fantastic, unbelieveble, and i lack more adjectives. You rule,man! Thanks! cheesy

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:24:42 PM »

Amazing, fantastic, unbelieveble, and i lack more adjectives. You rule,man! Thanks! cheesy
aye, catch some more cool scripts from the folks at ahk forums...
i'm beginning to sound like brotherS. Wink

brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 01:51:08 AM »

i'm beginning to sound like brotherS. Wink
Grin

You just discovered what's great! Thmbsup

Thank you.
noth(a)nk.you
Charter Member

More than meets the eye.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 07:54:04 AM »

I put these bindings in my .ahk script:
[copy or print]
LAlt & WheelDown::AltTab
LAlt & WheelUp::ShiftAltTab
I've been using them so much, I'd forgotten that they weren't part of the Windows shell!   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.03 ]