topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best router and configuration for VPN?  (Read 2424 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best router and configuration for VPN?
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:35 PM »
For the first time, I am starting to consider using a VPN.  What is the best router/modem/configuration for using a VPN.  I know Renegade has mentioned Privacy.io (and others).  I'm trying it and it's very easy to use, which is nice...I find VPN an intimidating thing.  My issue now is trying to make sure I get the fastest speeds possible.  I don't mind a bandwidth speed hit, but not a lot.  Currently with the Open VPN options, my speed goes from about 1 MBps to less than 200 KBps using the Open VPN option.  That sucks.  I'm pretty sure it's a configuration or hardware thing, but I have no idea how to analyze it, so I need help.

I'm willing to get a new router, doesn't have to be cheap.  I'm willing to install things like DD-WRT if it helps also.  I just want to have some discussions about it with the folks here, thanks.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best router and configuration for VPN?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:16 AM »
Currently with the Open VPN options, my speed goes from about 1 MBps to less than 200 KBps using the Open VPN option.  That sucks.  I'm pretty sure it's a configuration or hardware thing, but I have no idea how to analyze it, so I need help.

If it's varying that much I'd be inclined to think it's congestion either at the VPNs exit server or beyond, have you tried switching exit servers, (assuming they have others) ?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best router and configuration for VPN?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:06 PM »
OpenVPN user here [at home]. I am with 4wd on this one. Normally OpenVPN makes hardly a dent in the available bandwidth you buy from your ISP. Congestion on either your end or on the site you create the connection to, is the likely culprit.

Although I think it is highly unlikely, there is the possibility of traffic shaping by your ISP.

You could also try a different VPN client. The Cisco VPN client software is not free for users without Cisco hardware, but it is not hard to find a downloadable copy with your favorite search engine. In my experience this client is even more resilient than OpenVPN.