ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Reader - Mini-Review

<< < (15/17) > >>

40hz:
@IainB - what are feed snippits? Is that different than a preview? Because if you hover over the feed article in the sidebar, you get the first few lines of the article - as long as the site provides either a sample or the full article in its feed. Many - but not all - do. And most that do provide the full article.

I also haven't noticed it being any slower than any other desktop based reader I've tried.  But I guess YMMV with this sort of thing.   

Josh:
TheOldReader seems to be the best bet as far as a direct-from-Google transition service. Many of the same keyboard shortcuts, a very similar layout, make the transition easy. Newsblur is nice but they have stopped accepting new users and they also have an interface that is quite heavy when used on a work connection that is rather limited. Hence, theoldreader seems to be the best bet.

J-Mac:
How do you get your GR feeds into TheOldReader? GR doesn’t have an export facility anymore; instead it sends you to Google Takeout where you can only download your feeds as separate .json files. No OPML export available anymore. Apparently they killed that off back in November 2012.

Jim

Josh:
http://theoldreader.com/feeds/import

Note, they have a very long delay right now due to the large influx of users to their product. You might be better just adding them manually. I added all 82 of mine and the process took about 15 minutes.

IainB:
How do you get your GR feeds into TheOldReader? GR doesn’t have an export facility anymore; instead it sends you to Google Takeout where you can only download your feeds as separate .json files. No OPML export available anymore. Apparently they killed that off back in November 2012...
-J-Mac (March 17, 2013, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Google Takeout gives you an "export" .ZIP file for GR that includes the file subscriptions.xml - this file is the only one you need to import all your feed subscriptions to another feed reader.
TheOldReader will accept this file as an import, and put it into a queue for importing to your account - they have to use a queue as they do not have a humungus data centre. There were something like 3,875 predecessors already in the queue when I joined it last night, so that will take a while (days?) to get there.
If you didn't want to wait, then you could do what @Josh did - put them all in manually whilst online to TheOldReader. I didn't have the patience or the need to do that as I am happily using GR whilst it still exists, and can wait for TheOldReader queue to clear. I have to say thatTheOldReader looks like it might just be the trick for me, but we shall see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version