ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Reader - Mini-Review

<< < (14/17) > >>

wraith808:
The interface looks cluttered, even worse than NewsBlur.
-Tuxman (March 16, 2013, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's sort of like Onenote, where it has a variety of ways to break things (and the interface) apart, but you don't have to use all of them, i.e. the tabs at the top and sides and tags.  The extra toolbars are also of the tear away type.  So I think it's simpler than you're thinking.

Which interface?
-IainB (March 16, 2013, 01:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think he meant Omea Pro.  That's what my reply is based on :)

Tuxman:
Yup.

katykaty:
I don't really care about losing Google Reader the app.

What I care about is losing Google Reader the cloud service, so when I read an article in Feedly on my PC, it gets marked as read in Beyondpod on my phone.

IainB:
Well, I shall miss GR - the browser app.
So far, this is my experience with the alternatives:

1. Omea Pro - fantastic potential PIM-type tool; seems to be a dead loss as a feed reader (not really any better than the clunky RSS live feed reader/bookmarks in Firefox); slow as all heck; database gets "stuck" and crashes; does not display feed snippets (you have to be presented with the whole page); a bandwidth and disk space hog. I can see what @Tuxman meant by this:
The interface looks cluttered...
-Tuxman (March 16, 2013, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

2. OwnCloud - great potential; seems to effectively still be in ß; gave it a miss (no trial).

3. Sage - seems to be a dead loss as a feed reader (not really any better than the clunky RSS live feed reader/bookmarks in Firefox); slow as all heck; does not display feed snippets (you have to be presented with the whole page).

4. Another Firefox RSS add-in - seems to be a dead loss as a feed reader (not really any better than the clunky RSS live feed reader/bookmarks in Firefox); slow as all heck; does not display feed snippets (you have to be presented with the whole page).
If this and Sage are indicative, then they are all much the same, and rubbish as far as I can see.    :(

Tuxman:
Have you tried NewsBlur (I wonder if you'd like it) and TT-RSS? Seem to be valuable so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version