ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DRAFT: Dear British Government, The BBC & TV Licensing.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Tinman57:
It actually applies to more than just UK residents - anyone who buys anything in the UK capable of receiving a TV signal is expected to either have a TV license or currently staying somewhere that does.

I was going to be refused the purchase of a USB DVB-T tuner from Maplins unless I specified an address they could look up to see if it had a valid license.
-4wd (December 14, 2012, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Un-freaking believable!  What if your buying it as a gift to someone that does have a license?  Seems to me they're calling you a criminal just for trying to buy it....

tomos:
Why must people be forced to pay? Why not just have the radio/TV stations actually have a business model other than stealing from people? Why not just give people the freedom to pay for what they want? Is that too much to ask? To not have the fruits of your labour stolen from you?-Renegade (December 15, 2012, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have mixed feelings -and thoughts- there.

The reality very probably is, that the radio stations I do often enjoy listening to, would not exist if there were no license. As said above, I'm out of touch with TV, so I cant comment about that.

If the license wasn't there, we would only have advertising supported stations. Reminiscent of the internet craze for 'free' resulting in  lots of ad-supported apps - and adware.

Tinman57:
The reality very probably is, that the radio stations I do often enjoy listening to, would not exist if there were no license. As said above, I'm out of touch with TV, so I cant comment about that.
If the license wasn't there, we would only have advertising supported stations. Reminiscent of the internet craze for 'free' resulting in  lots of ad-supported apps - and adware.
-tomos (December 16, 2012, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

One good thing about ad based tv & radio stations, you don't have to pay for the crap you don't want to watch or listen to.  If the station wants to be profitable they have to compete for good entertainment which brings in advertizers to pay for it all.

tomos:
--- End quote ---

One good thing about ad based tv & radio stations, you don't have to pay for the crap you don't want to watch or listen to.  If the station wants to be profitable they have to compete for good entertainment which brings in advertizers to pay for it all.
-Tinman57 (December 16, 2012, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I see as not necessarily good.
The result?
Generic crap with tons of advertising. Lowest common denominator entertainment. I'm not saying your money should pay for what I listen to - but I am complaining about the alternative.
Last time I saw Amercian TV was scary - and that was years ago - I cant see it having gotten any better since.

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

-Tinman57 (December 16, 2012, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I see as not necessarily good.
The result?
Generic crap with tons of advertising. Lowest common denominator entertainment. I'm not saying your money should pay for what I listen to - but I am complaining about the alternative.
Last time I saw Amercian TV was scary - and that was years ago - I cant see it having gotten any better since.
-tomos (December 16, 2012, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would have NO objection, if the BBC made any quality content.  They only remotely good show, is Top Gear.  Everything else is CRAP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version