ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WSOD

<< < (3/6) > >>

rgdot:
The only white screen I have seen using laptops is connector (or power) related. Flaky connection to LCD. If at boot could mean a power draw it can't handle.

Target:
or perhaps bad some bad anti-malware stuff.
--- End quote ---

well, the company does use mcafee ;D

Target:
The only white screen I have seen using laptops is connector (or power) related. Flaky connection to LCD. If at boot could mean a power draw it can't handle.-rgdot (December 13, 2012, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never had the issue at boot, and while I'm working off a laptop, a lot of my colleagues aren't

mwb1100:
anyone here have any experience with the 'White Screen of Death' phenomenon?
-Target (December 13, 2012, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get that behavior occasionally (but not nearly the frequency that you mention).  I'm running Win7 x64, and I see such behavior probably not more than once a week.  It typically occurred in Firefox, but sometimes also in Outlook (2007).

I might not see it as much as you do because most of the time I'm in a text editor, serial port terminal window, or a VMware session.

I'm generally reluctant to upgrade software, so until recently I was running some old version of Firefox (I can't remember what version exactly, but something in the 4.x - 11.x range, I think).  I always assumed that the problem was either because of FF or because of antivirus software.  

I restart my Windows box pretty much only when absolutely necessary (usually due to updates) about once a month, and Firefox maybe once every couple weeks.  I also keep about 50 tabs open in FF.  So by the time I'd restart FF, it would often have gotten pretty slow and be chewing up a huge chunk of memory.  The AV on this machine (it's managed by an IT department - also it's McAfee  :'() also has various processes that seem to occasionally peg a CPU core, so I have to use task manager to kill those every now and again.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I always assumed that the "WSOD" problem was either FF or AV instability.  As a side note, FF 17.x is a big improvement stability-wise so far.

Curt:
surely, if you are running a laptop, you must have the opportunity to exit the security program(s), and test if things are improving by this way. Your problem #sounds# like the one I had some years ago when my Agnitum Outpost / Eset NOD32 security combination wasn't working well together.

Also, it sounds as if the laptop needs some more / new / better memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version