topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opinions sought on the HTC One X (or other non-iOS smartphone)  (Read 3078 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm at the point where I need to capitulate and get a new smartphone.

I've looked a quite a few. So far I like what I'm hearing about the HTC One X.

Anybody here use one?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Any other phone recommendation would also be appreciated - but I'd prefer to get off Apple and iOS if at all possible - even though it means walking away from a mildly substantial investment in iPhone apps.

Such is life. ;D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opinions sought on the HTC One X (or other non-iOS smartphone)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I've been happy with the Galaxy SIII (Android v4.x), so far.  A bit large, but, then, so are my hands, so it fits  :P.  Seen some pretty good reports on the HTC, but don't know anyone who has the beastie.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Have you looked at any of the Samsung Galaxy Notes? The S Pen is pretty cool. (There's lockin there though through the hardware and SDK as it uses SCanvas and other related proprietary methods.) Still, if you like using a stylus, it's worth a look. I just finished doing some work on SABER (mobile benchmarking software), and the Galaxy S III is a serious beast for speed. It uses an Exynos 4412 AP, which just blazes. DRAM is 2SH LP2800, so again, fast. Storage is eMMC, so right at the forefront of the game.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:57 PM »
I'll post the useless comment that the last HTC phone I had was Win Mobile 6.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:45 AM »
So far I like what I'm hearing about the HTC One X.

Anybody here use one?

I have a One X and really like it. Chose it over the Samsung S3 (virtually same price). If I were looking now, I's also look at the Note 2.

Not sure what I can say about it. None of the concerns raised in initial reviews have been an issue at all and the strong points mentioned have been excellent.

Can't compare it with iOS as I've refused to have anything to do with any Apple product for 25 years or so.

Let me know if you have a specific question.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:43 AM »
My wife got a Galaxy SIII a few weeks ago. The phone has worked just fine for her, but battery life OOTB hasn't been stellar. Granted she doesn't charge it daily (not a heavy user), and only mentioned the battery life thing once ... so it may not actually be that bad.

The owners of our company (both droide fanatics) both got a Galaxy SIII last weekend. But I'm on vacation so I'm not (going to ask...:)) sure how there getting along with them.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:44 PM »
My wife got a Galaxy SIII a few weeks ago. The phone has worked just fine for her, but battery life OOTB hasn't been stellar. Granted she doesn't charge it daily (not a heavy user), and only mentioned the battery life thing once ... so it may not actually be that bad.

The owners of our company (both droide fanatics) both got a Galaxy SIII last weekend. But I'm on vacation so I'm not (going to ask...:)) sure how there getting along with them.

Battery life on my SIII is not stellar, but then, I've got wi-fi running all day, once in a while bluetooth/GPS.  (GPS on land, not so great  :-\- GPS on the bay, a bit more important  ;).)  Anyway, I charge it every night as a matter of course, so doesn't really hurt me.