ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can DDR2-PC6400 RAM replace DDR2-PC5300 RAM?

(1/2) > >>

erikts:
I've got to use an aging workstation (Intel® Pentium® Processor E2140 desktop) at work. I would like to add more RAM (currently 1GB DDR2 PC5300 333MHz).

My question is: Can DDR2 PC6400 RAM replace or be combined with DR2 PC5300 RAM?

Thank you.  :)

eleman:
My question is: Can DDR2 PC6400 RAM replace or be combined with DR2 PC5300 RAM?
-erikts (December 12, 2012, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes it can replace, and yes it can be combined, but you will run it at DDR2 pc5300 speed, which should be just fine.

Shades:
Replacement shouldn't be a problem. In theory anyway.

In my experience it never hurts to check first what your motherboard actually supports. Memory timing can be bitchy sometimes. Mix-and-match different pairs of memory modules can make your computing experience (very) unpleasant.

Even memory modules of the same brand but (slightly) different model can make your system do bad things.

After a quick peek at the provided link I didn't see a link to the installation manual. That document normally has dedicated one or more pages to which (pairs of) memory modules from which brand are supported.

erikts:
Thanks to eleman and Shades for the explanation.  :up:

Yes it can replace, and yes it can be combined, but you will run it at DDR2 pc5300 speed, which should be just fine.
-eleman (December 12, 2012, 01:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Replacement shouldn't be a problem. In theory anyway.
-Shades (December 12, 2012, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

So replacement is safer.

In my experience it never hurts to check first what your motherboard actually supports. Memory timing can be bitchy sometimes. Mix-and-match different pairs of memory modules can make your computing experience (very) unpleasant.

Even memory modules of the same brand but (slightly) different model can make your system do bad things.

After a quick peek at the provided link I didn't see a link to the installation manual. That document normally has dedicated one or more pages to which (pairs of) memory modules from which brand are supported.
-Shades (December 12, 2012, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have PC Manual at hand. I open the case and found out that the motherboard is Wearnes 7945L2-C1. I google it and found a support page for Wearnes Premiere 7945L2.

Main Memory
• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM
• Supports dual channel DDR2 memory architecture.
• Supports DDR2 400/533/667 memory interface. (4GB Max)
--- End quote ---

But I am not sure if I understand what the specification means. :-[

4wd:
Main Memory
• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM
• Supports dual channel DDR2 memory architecture.
• Supports DDR2 400/533/667 memory interface. (4GB Max)
--- End quote ---

But I am not sure if I understand what the specification means. :-[
-erikts (December 12, 2012, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's clock speed, multiply by 8 to give your PC rating, eg. 400 * 8 = PC3200, 533 * 8 = PC4200, 667 * 8 = PC5300

They round down to the nearest 100, (for DDR2 anyway).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version