topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ....and NZBMatrix closes........who's next?  (Read 5823 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
....and NZBMatrix closes........who's next?
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:17 AM »
The End...

It is with our regret to announce that NZBMATRIX has closed.

We have had to make this decision due to a very large takedown request from a company called Wiggin LLC. These represent the following: Federation Against Copyright Theft Limited ("FACT"), Paramount Home Entertainment International Limited; Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Limited; The Walt Disney Company Limited; Twentieth Century Fox Film Company Limited; Universal Pictures (UK) Limited; Warner Bros. Entertainment UK Limited.

As everyone is aware we are DMCA/Takedown notice compliant, and always have been.
Once this notice is completed we are left with an impossible task of policing our indexing bots.  Even then it won't stop there, there will be follow-up notices etc.

Coupled with this is problems with payment providers, we have been through pretty much everyone out there, in the end they all pull out.
There are massive server/bandwidth costs to pay, with the payments in-stability this is a very hard task.

NZBMATRIX has never been the subject of any legal issues or threats.

Also the Usenet Indexing scene is going through some changes, with content being removed from pretty much every provider its making the existence of an indexer irrelevant if the content does not even exists anymore.

So it's time for us to bow out...

Link
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:32 AM by 4wd »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ....and NZBMatrix closes........who's next?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:08 AM »
I can hardly blame them. In our current business/legal/political climate they'd end up getting dragged into a battle they couldn't possibly win. Especially now that the US government and media industry have adopted what appears to be a 'scorched earth' policy. The Megaupoload case was the warning shot. Seems those in similarly vulnerable positions have heard and begun to heed the warnings. Especially now that it's been made obvious several governments have no intention of confining themselves to purely legal actions to protect corporate interests.

To borrow from Firefly/Serenity: When your enemy goes to ground, leave them no ground to go to.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25 PM »
  Mass closings was predicted by many consumer rights advocates even before the DMCA became law, and they were right.  As long as Hollywood and their ilk keep paying millions to own politicians it's only going to get worse.
  What DMCA really means is "Destroy My Company, A$$h0le$"....

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I playing with Newznab to see if it's worth the trouble to run my own.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 01:15 AM »
I'm no fan of DMCA or site takedowns in general - but let's be honest here, how much legitimate content does any of the usenet indexers or torrent sites have?
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I'm no fan of DMCA or site takedowns in general - but let's be honest here, how much legitimate content does any of the usenet indexers or torrent sites have?

I think the point here is that it's more an issue of free speech and information sharing.

Time was when you actually had to be a perpetrator of a criminal act to be held culpable for something. That got expanded to people advocating criminal behaviors under the argument you were "aiding and abetting." Then the notion of "conspiring" entered the picture during the "war on communism" era. First, conspiracy required direct conversations. Later it was applied to people merely advocating for something, at which point you could be charged with conspiring even though you had never once met or talked to the person you supposedly were conspiring with. The US anti-war movement had "conspiracy" thrown at them constantly in the 60s and 70s. As did the civil rights movement a decade before.

With the indexers, what you're seeing is an attempt to destroy the ability of the general public to find things somebody with power finds objectionable. It doesn't go after actual perpetrators. It just attempts to block public discovery and awareness of it. (You can rest assured the government, however, maintains its own indexers for its own agendas.) It's a form of censorship. And a dangerous one. Because you can look at the news almost every day and see case after case of people being harassed or prosecuted, not for what they did, but for what they said - or even more alarming - for the questions they asked.

And that's a very bad thing.

Western democracy, in the classic sense, is founded on the key principles of free inquiry and open dialog. As one college professor I had once put it: At its core, Western Civilization is nothing more than an ongoing conversation.

And that conversation has made what progress we've achieved possible. And it's also arguably created one of the most progressive and open societies in human history despite all its flaws and missteps made along the way.

The problem with hitting a "soft target" like indexers is it doesn't go to the root of the problem. It simply attempts to hide it and stop people talking about it. And I think the desire to to hide it is motivated by the fact that people who grew up on a western style democracy have a bad habit of questioning officially sanctioned groupthink. Most people, who see a big rise in some illegal behavior, first side with "law & order." But after a while, they start questioning what is going on that so many people are suddenly breaking some law. And once they look more closely into it, their opinions on the matter often change.

Such changes in public opinion often trigger legal reforms. Or force changes government behavior.

Changes some elements in our governments and corporations (is there really any difference anymore?) wish to avoid at all costs.
 8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:08 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33 AM »
I think the point here is that it's more an issue of free speech and information sharing.

+1 for 40hz there.

I'd be a bit more scathing and use the words "criminal" and "traitor" and "douchewad" a lot more, but he's pretty much bang on. ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:37 AM »

+1 for 40hz there.

I'd be a bit more scathing and use the words "criminal" and "traitor" and "douchewad" a lot more, but he's pretty much bang on. ;D

Just remember Folks! There is only one Renegade. Accept no substitutes! ;D :Thmbsup:

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:03 PM »
  Actually, quite a lot.  I used bittorrent through GetRight, my downloader for downloading free apps, text or pdf files, and public domain music.  I have NEVER used bittorrent for illegal activities, so why should I be treated like a criminal?  And why should Hollywood dictate that we should all be "monitored" online?  We are all supposed to be innocent UNTIL found guilty, at least in the U.S. anyhow.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:56 AM »
40hz, I pretty much agree with most you've written. There's a lot of nasty things being done to limit the Internet (and democracy+freespeech in general) these years, in several countries, and I don't like any of it.

To clarify: I don't get upset that sites like MegaUpload, NewsBin et cetera are being shut down, since they clearly were made for piracy - and for profiting from it. That some people used the sites for legitimate purposes is really a side effect.

What I do get upset from is the way the sites are taken down, which is extremely despicable. The DMCA is an abomination. Nothing should be taken down before a case has been made en (civil, not criminal!) court.

Actually, quite a lot. I used bittorrent through GetRight, my downloader for downloading free apps, text or pdf files, and public domain music.
Want to take a wager as to the percentage of legit vs pirated content on sites like ThePirateBay, newzbin, et cetera? :-) (if you look at total torrent traffic, rather than those piracy-focused sites, the stats are better - linux distros, World Of Warcrack updates, et cetera.)

I have NEVER used bittorrent for illegal activities, so why should I be treated like a criminal?
You shouldn't, but this is about the takedown of (to put it mildly) dubious sites.

And why should Hollywood dictate that we should all be "monitored" online?  We are all supposed to be innocent UNTIL found guilty, at least in the U.S. anyhow.
Indeed they shouldn't, and indeed presumption of innocence should be the norm - and corporations should have much less power than they do now.
- carpe noctem