topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MagicRAR Drive Press - worth anything?  (Read 35101 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MagicRAR Drive Press - worth anything?
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:22 PM »
I've just heard about a utility that claims to increase the efficiency of Windows's native NTFS compression.  I'm mildly interested in this because I have a fair bit of stuff that can be usefully compressed (such as C header files and libraries - they're write once, compressible, and take up a lot of space if you have many compilers/SDKs/toolkits).

- http://www.magicrar.com/drive-press.html

I'm curious about this software because of some of the claims made on an older site by the vendor:

All software has bugs...even Windows!

MagicRAR Drive Press uses safe, proven NTFS compression to increase your disk capacity.

But it outperforms Windows significantly! How is this possible, since both use NTFS compression?

It's a bug in the Windows drive conversion routine, which misses files that are completely safe to compress. First introduced in the problematic Windows Vista version, this bug renders a significant portion of your hard disks incompressible - even on the newer Windows 7 and Windows 8 versions! Take a look at the evidence we have collected below and see for yourself how MagicRAR Drive Press exceeds Windows's own compression, while using time-tested, proven, and completely safe, reversible NTFS compression as its underlying storage medium. And because Drive Press is multi-core and SSD capable, it will also convert your drives in a fraction of the time it would take Windows to do so. More storage and faster processing - now that's a win-win proposition!

This kind of feels like either snake-oil or maybe a registry setting that can be set without any special software. But I'd like to know more.

Does anyone have any experience with this software?  

Any  better information on how it works or what the mentioned bug in the Windows drive compression routine is?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MagicRAR Drive Press - worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:56 PM »
I have zero facts for what I'm about to say...

I'd only use something like this as a last resort or on a device I cared nothing about if it exploded or got stolen tomorrow morning.  For anything more important than that, I'd buy additional storage before doing anything like this.  I also avoid compression as much as practically possible.  But I am admittedly more than slightly paranoid about such things.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:52 AM »
I'd only use something like this as a last resort or on a device I cared nothing about if it exploded or got stolen tomorrow morning.  For anything more important than that, I'd buy additional storage before doing anything like this.  I also avoid compression as much as practically possible.  But I am admittedly more than slightly paranoid about such things.

I've never been bitten by any problem with NTFS compression (though I understand that Home Server had a bug in it's backup system when interacting with some compressed files).  Something I read about the 'Drive Press' thing lead me to believe that the actual compression used was the native NTFS encryption (so even if the Drive Press software were removed, the files would be handled just fine by the NTFS driver).  However, I'll need to dig around to locate what made me think that - I still haven't actually tried the software, mainly because of paranoia a bit similar, if not quite as intense, to yours. 

However, I may still test it out sometime (maybe I'm not paranoid enough),and I'm curious if anyone else knows anything about the software (or the bug it 'fixes').

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:27 AM »
Haven't looked at it, but my snake-oil alarm bells are making a lot of noise - and trying to cash in on the RAR brand while having no technical relation to it definitely doesn't help (the text you pasted says NTFS compression).
- carpe noctem

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34 AM »
Just to be clear, the 'Drive Press' thing is part of a larger product, which is a full-blown shell integration archiver tool (ie., it makes archives look like folders in explorer).  It does apparently support RAR archives, but otherwise is not associated (as far as I know) with the outfit that makes WinRAR.  So your point about it cashing in on the RAR brand is well taken.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:41 AM »
I've browsed through the site - it's very fluffy, full of marketing hyperbole but low on actual information. Again, extremely typical of snake-oil crap. Made me feel like hitting somebody with a baseball bat, guess I should have another cup of morning coffee ;)

Most of their claims sound like complete crap to me. My guess (just a gut feeling, not verified) is that their drive compression boasting is something along the lines of... when selecting "Compress this drive to save disk space", Windows doesn't select every file and folder by default (I'd guess it skips %WinDir% and other locations), whereas MagicRAR probably goes gung-ho on the entire partition. How im-pres-si-ve. And using a term like "SSD optimized" for simply calling the built-in NTFS compression routines from multiple threads? *facepalm*.

I'd stay very, very, very clean of this piece of software and the people behind it.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Just thinking out loud here...
This is the amount of free space available on a brand-new Windows 8 Professional computer.
 Windows will compress this drive when you check the "Compress this drive" box.

The default Windows compression is date based, so that currently new and frequently used files don't incur any (compression/decompression) overhead. This of easily seen in the drive cleanup utility where the checkbox to enable says "compress old files to save disk space". That and wandering through the file system in detail view will show that only the files with older dates are blue (signifying they are compressed).

As an example (because the same dates are being used), if anyone has used a defrag utility that arranges the files based on frequency of access. When you run it on a fresh install with a 30 day window ... Everything on the machine is marked as new.

So if they're using a brand new freshly installed computer...it's not going to have a lot of old files making their demonstration (complete BS) a bit of a loaded dice game.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:43 AM »
System software just scares me... If it conks out, god only knows what can happen. I prefer to rely on the basics and some very well trusted tools that have been vetted over and over again. e.g. SysInternals.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Agree with f0dder. The software probably does nothing else than force the compression flag on all files, even on those, where it would make no sense (fixing this "bug"). mwb1100, you mentioned, you want to compress specific files - just go ahead and enable NTFS compression for them (or for the folder they are in) - you don't need that software to do that for you.

The NTFS compression is rather conservative and sometimes it really does not make sense to enable it. It has different priorities than zip or rar. The compressed files must be easily and quickly modifiable and provide random access. The files are divided into compression units of 16 clusters (1 cluster is typically 4kB) and compression occurs only if it would reduce the size of the unit by at least the size of 1 cluster. For some files, it never happens and attempting the compression only wastes time. For small files that fit into a single cluster, the compression may also bring no benefit.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:32 AM »
System software just scares me... If it conks out, god only knows what can happen. I prefer to rely on the basics and some very well trusted tools that have been vetted over and over again. e.g. SysInternals.
I wouldn't label MagicRAR as "system software" - from their marketing fluff, I'd conclude that the developers aren't too skilled, and are simply using the built-in NTFS compression (calling DeviceIoControl with FSCTL_SET_COMPRESSION). That's the same thing that happens if you enable compression on the file properties dialog box.

It's also not a super smart thing to do on a whole volume, it can add a fair amount of file fragmentation especially on files that are often modified... and I definitely wouldn't do it on an SSD (even if the space savings might seem juicy on those small drives) - both because it can end up causing a lot more disk writes than uncompressed access, but also because some SSD controllers do their own compression (SandForce, for instance).
- carpe noctem

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:17 PM »
My guess (just a gut feeling, not verified) is that their drive compression boasting is something along the lines of... when selecting "Compress this drive to save disk space", Windows doesn't select every file and folder by default (I'd guess it skips %WinDir% and other locations), whereas MagicRAR probably goes gung-ho on the entire partition.

This sounds like a good guess.

I think I'll follow everyone's advice and just forget about this.  Except I might run a test in a VM sometime to see if f0dder's theory is right.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Somehow I'm reminded of this - it's the same kind of weazly snake-oil marketing. Except this MagicRAR thing seems even more scummy :)
- carpe noctem

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:58 PM »
I had completely forgotten about that thread. I wonder if Josh ever got a response to his refund request...

simonking

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:00 PM »
I've just heard about a utility that claims to increase the efficiency of Windows's native NTFS compression.  I'm mildly interested in this because I have a fair bit of stuff that can be usefully compressed (such as C header files and libraries - they're write once, compressible, and take up a lot of space if you have many compilers/SDKs/toolkits).

- http://www.magicrar.com/drive-press.html

I'm curious about this software because of some of the claims made on an older site by the vendor:

All software has bugs...even Windows!

MagicRAR Drive Press uses safe, proven NTFS compression to increase your disk capacity.

But it outperforms Windows significantly! How is this possible, since both use NTFS compression?

It's a bug in the Windows drive conversion routine, which misses files that are completely safe to compress. First introduced in the problematic Windows Vista version, this bug renders a significant portion of your hard disks incompressible - even on the newer Windows 7 and Windows 8 versions! Take a look at the evidence we have collected below and see for yourself how MagicRAR Drive Press exceeds Windows's own compression, while using time-tested, proven, and completely safe, reversible NTFS compression as its underlying storage medium. And because Drive Press is multi-core and SSD capable, it will also convert your drives in a fraction of the time it would take Windows to do so. More storage and faster processing - now that's a win-win proposition!

This kind of feels like either snake-oil or maybe a registry setting that can be set without any special software. But I'd like to know more.

Does anyone have any experience with this software?  

Any  better information on how it works or what the mentioned bug in the Windows drive compression routine is?

As the publisher of this software (Simon King), I am thoroughly appalled by the extent of bias and judgmentalism your question has elicited.

None of the responses are based in fact, and it is painfully clear that none of the responders bothered to check any of their claims. It is obvious that none of them even bothered to install the software before smearing it and accusing me of being a con artist.

All of this makes me wonder if this is some kind of FUD campaign from the competition. I will now proceed to rip apart all of the factually inaccurate and wantonly biased responses one by one for your benefit and that of any other readers.

simonking

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30 PM »
1. The Product Name

Unfortunately, the domains magiczip and zipmagic were both taken. So was rarmagic, but magicrar was available. Since the product's shell namespace integration is unique, there was no clearer way to communicate this than to append or prepend the phrase "magic" to one of the most commonly recognized archive formats. There are countless utilities with the name ZIP, and by your reasoning you should go and flame them as well for cashing in on the "ZIP brand".

2. Allegations of Marketing Hyperbole

If you actually bother to leave your openly admitted and apparently intense paranoia aside for a moment, and actually install the product, you will find that each claim is based on fact and is entirely accurate. Heavens forbid, you may even like the product! Moreover, the extensive benefits described on the product page are mostly unique (with perhaps just one or two exceptions). Are you able to counter this claim based on fact and not your own paranoid FUD hyperbole? It is astounding that you are engaged in the exact same thing you are accusing MagicRAR of doing.

3. "Windows doesn't select every file and folder by default"

False. There is simply no mechanism in the Windows shell to force Windows to compress all files that are actually safe to compress, even if you have actually selected everything. Period. You can keep trying and you will see that Drive Press will always compress better - gigabytes better - when you reprocess the drive with Drive Press.

4. "Simply calling the built-in NTFS compression routines from multiple threads"

False. There are significant engineering challenges in building safely multi-threaded software that are also load-balanced. You could manually try to compress folders and files using more than one instance of the Windows shell, but it will be simply impossible for you to do load balancing, such that each thread will end up at the approximate same time. This means you will sit around waiting - and apparently whining - when Drive Press would have already done the job for you.

5. "The default Windows compression is date based"

False. The "Default Windows Compression" you are referring to is in the Disk Cleanup utility, which actually archives files that are rarely used. The compression Drive Press actually does is full disk, transparent, on-the-fly NTFS (de)compression. What you are talking about has absolutely nothing to do with NTFS compression.

6. "The software probably does nothing else than force the compression flag on all files, even on those, where it would make no sense"

False. If you indiscriminately compress all files on your computer, you will actually end up with an unbootable system. Drive Press is completely safe to use and will not compress files that will jeopardize your operating system's integrity or ability to boot.

7. "From their marketing fluff, I'd conclude that the developers aren't too skilled"

Thank you for sharing your marketing insights. Does it occur to you that no archive utility at all features shell namespace extension technology? Is that because their developers are so much more highly skilled than ours, to the extent that they cannot be bothered to come out of their coder's nirvana, trying to achieve a completely undocumented, extremely difficult level of integration with the Windows shell?

8. "because some SSD controllers do their own compression"

False. The SandForce compression you are referring to is not at the file system level. Meaning, it will not actually give you any additional space on disk. With Drive Press, you actually get additional space on disk. I agree that this may stress SandForce based SSDs when they are unable to re-compress the raw data they receive from the OS...but that is something you will need to take up with the drive manufacturers. If a SandForce drive crashes when it has too much compressed data, do you blame the compression software - that runs fine on every other drive - or SandForce for making a loose assumption which you have just violated? In fact, I would strongly recommend all SSD users to avoid SandForce drives because they are extremely brittle under atypical, non-consumer loads. What this means for YOU, the consumer, is that your drive may randomly fail after years of apparently "successful" operation - at the worst possible time of course. That's a real concern you *should* be getting paranoid about.

9. "Somehow I'm reminded of this"

MagicRAR has nothing to do with that company, period.

10. Conclusion

You are free to drink the kool-aid of the competition and attack MagicRAR with FUD. The fact remains that none of you have even bothered to try the software, in addition to the many factual inaccuracies in your posts above which I have ripped apart to shreds above. We all at MagicRAR have worked very hard to bring you genuine innovation - but apparently you are so brainwashed by the existing brands which have been selling you essentially the same tools for over a decade, that you cannot possibly conceive of actually having something better - save recognize when it is actually delivered.

See here for discussion on Tom's Hardware of using MagicRar to improve SSD performance.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:44 PM by mouser »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 03:08 PM »
I am sure mouser will comment on this soon, but let me just say that it's nice to see the author commenting here :up:.

Looking over this thread, it seems like the people who commented were mostly regulars (1k+ posts) and certainly not to my knowledge affiliated with any "competitors". What you have seen here, I think, is the gut reaction of people who have been working with software for a long time, and who have seen a terrible lot of "bootstrap sites" claiming to do "magic" :-[.

Now I have not tried your software, and I have no idea how it works, so I can in no way comment on the technical merits of it -- but please understand that they are not trying to spread FUD, but merely telling people to be cautious when it comes to "magic" on computers. If you've seen the amount of banner ads that claim to clean your computer and make it faster by "magic", you know that this is generally speaking good advice :Thmbsup:.

At any rate, I think it is great that you found your way here, now we can (hopefully) have a real discussion about your software.

As I said, I haven't been a part of this discussion, and I haven't tried your software so I cannot comment on it -- however, I do feel I can make a comment about point 1:

1. The Product Name

Unfortunately, the domains magiczip and zipmagic were both taken. So was rarmagic, but magicrar was available. Since the product's shell namespace integration is unique, there was no clearer way to communicate this than to append or prepend the phrase "magic" to one of the most commonly recognized archive formats. There are countless utilities with the name ZIP, and by your reasoning you should go and flame them as well for cashing in on the "ZIP brand".

Zip is an open standard (and has been for a long time), which anybody can implement. Rar on the other hand is proprietary software. I would say calling your software MagicZip is akin to calling your stylesheet editor MagicCSS, or your image viewer MagicJPG. I.e. there is no commercial interest behind the "ZIP brand" anymore (if you call your software MagicWinZip on the other hand .. ;D).

I assume you have somehow cleared your use of the name with the people behind Rar -- it doesn't look like you licensed their compression technology, but rather use WinRAR as a plugin if installed?

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30 PM »
simonking, Firstly, welcome to DonationCoder,

I was going to make a statement on here, but the following summed it up perfectly for me:

Looking over this thread, it seems like the people who commented were mostly regulars (1k+ posts) and certainly not to my knowledge affiliated with any "competitors". What you have seen here, I think, is the gut reaction of people who have been working with software for a long time, and who have seen a terrible lot of "bootstrap sites" claiming to do "magic" .
-Jibz

Here at DonationCoder, we do not create unwarranted FUD.  From a quick look at some of the posts on this thread, all I see is slight scepticism about software that claims to do 'Magic'

Like Jibs also mentioned, everybody here, including yourself, simonking, has, at some point, been attacked by popups claiming to make your internet faster, make your computer faster, or make your registry more efficient, by working nothing but magic on them.  This is why, when we see the word 'magic' we can be slightly...worried by it.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and will go a long way towards helping people understand your product.

One last note:

10. Conclusion

You are free to drink the kool-aid of the competition and attack MagicRAR with FUD. The fact remains that none of you have even bothered to try the software, in addition to the many factual inaccuracies in your posts above which I have ripped apart to shreds above. We all at MagicRAR have worked very hard to bring you genuine innovation - but apparently you are so brainwashed by the existing brands which have been selling you essentially the same tools for over a decade, that you cannot possibly conceive of actually having something better - save recognize when it is actually delivered.

Statements like you have put above, will simply turn people away.  You seem very arrogant, and instead of simply being polite, and explaining why we where false to assume X and didn't understand Y, you chose to assume that we here, simply posted all these comments, in order for Search Engines to index bad comments about you (Which, I assume, is how you found this in the first place).

Look at some of our other posts here, and you will see, that we actually go into some serious discussion, and even though we can start out being very blunt about our initial findings, once somebody decides "Well...I shall go try this out in VMWare", we then get a USER perspective.

You can trust me when I say, any FUD, or unwarranted bashing of a company, is not, has never been, and never will be, tolerated here at DonationCoder.com

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Oh, astroturfing - welcome to the fun :)

#1 - "I couldn't cash in on the ZIP name, so I decided to cash in on the RAR name" - even though you have no association to RAR. And as Jibz said, ZIP is an open standard (as well as being an ubiquitous term), you can't compare the two. Did it ever occur to you that you could have come up with an original product/brand name?

#2 - I might actually take a look at your product. Rather think it could be funny ripping it apart. Who knows, I might be surprised, but I have my doubts.

#3 - it's hardly rocket science composing a list of files that are unsafe to enable NTFS compression for.

#4 - why would I go through shell code to apply NTFS compression to files? Oh sure, there's some potential load balancing (CPU as well as disk I/O) that can help with speed. But why would I bother with "finishing threads at the same time"? Where does "safely" enter the picture, considering compression is handled at a very low level of NTFS? Fire up a bunch of threads, feed threads producer/consumer style, do DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_SET_COMPRESSION). Possibly apply some balancing. Magic? Hardly. Still using bog-standard NTFS features that have been with us since forever. If you were doing anything but that, you'd be listing patent numbers on your website.

#5 - (Stoic Joker's point, not mine) - date base compression. Yes, the disk clenaup utility, just like he said - it will offer to compress old files, based on... whoa... date. That's the way "normal users" would come in contact with NTFS compression.

#6 - (Vlastimil's point, not mine) "no sense" - I'm pretty sure his point is files that aren't compressible, not files that are dangerous to compress (hibernation and the core loader files read by the NTFS minidriver which doesn't support compression). If you just go gung-ho on the filesystem, you waste a lot of CPU time processing  incompressible or very-little-comrpessible files, along with possibly adding massive fragmentation overhead.

#7 - <flame>I'm pretty sure I briefly used an archiver back in the Win9x days that was implemented through shell namespace, but who cares? Normal users have their zip folders, the rest of use proper standalone apps that Don't Suck(TM).</flame>

#8 - no, the sandforce controllers compress at the block level - this affects read and write speed, as well as reduce the free space available for wear levelling. And even for non-compressing SSD chipsets, the fragmentation (often) caused by NTFS compression will have negative effects on the block erases and writes. I sure as hell wouldn't NTFS compress anything but read-only data on any of my SSDs. As for avoiding sandforce, whatever - even Intel uses them now. And all SSD manufacturers have had their flakes-outs, that's just how it is with that technology at the moment.

#9 - except for the same "ZOMG WE ARE REVOLUTIONARY (but no content)" kind of marketing.

#10 - I have nothing to do with your competition. Or well, I don't think so, I honestly have no idea who they are. (I'm a regular user of 7-zip and the WinRAR, that's as far as 'affiliations' go - and I hate snake-oil and marketing that cashes in on other people's work, but that's a general personal trait of mine.)

(Yeah, I'm grumpy, and neither my caffeine deficiency nor your tone helped.)
- carpe noctem

simonking

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:16 PM »
You can trust me when I say, any FUD, or unwarranted bashing of a company, is not, has never been, and never will be, tolerated here at DonationCoder.com

That's nice of you to make an effort, but clearly you are failing. Simply based on the name "magic" a significant number of your senior posters have ridiculed a terrific piece of engineering without even bothering to fire up VMware for it, by their own admitted paranoia.

The poster f0dder continues to spread technical falsehoods in a desperate effort to protect his or her continuing strawman arguments. Are you seriously surprised that this kind of attitude draws a strong reaction? What were you thinking?

I have privately emailed mauser that it is not a reasonable expectation for any poster here to ask MagicRAR to reveal any of our intellectual property - whether it has been patented or not - as these are our trade secrets. I find it necessary to reiterate that claim here.

If you have an open mind and are actually willing to try the software and offer feedback to help make it better, I would be delighted to receive your input. Otherwise, my job here is done.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42 PM »

That's nice of you to make an effort, but clearly you are failing. Simply based on the name "magic" a significant number of your senior posters have ridiculed a terrific piece of engineering without even bothering to fire up VMware for it, by their own admitted paranoia.

The poster f0dder continues to spread technical falsehoods in a desperate effort to protect his or her continuing strawman arguments. Are you seriously surprised that this kind of attitude draws a strong reaction? What were you thinking?

I have privately emailed mauser that it is not a reasonable expectation for any poster here to ask MagicRAR to reveal any of our intellectual property - whether it has been patented or not - as these are our trade secrets. I find it necessary to reiterate that claim here.

If you have an open mind and are actually willing to try the software and offer feedback to help make it better, I would be delighted to receive your input. Otherwise, my job here is done.

Personally, I have zero use for this type of software, and have no intention of trying it out.  I simply weighed in my 2cents on what is happening here.

By the way. coming onto this forum, with the attitude "We are awesome and don't need to answer to you"

If you want to have a civilized discussion, then feel free to stay, and answer any questions or worries we have.
* Stephen66515 is out.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 03:22 AM »

Move along, people, nothing to see here - snake-oil salesman passing through.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Let's try to keep things civil here ok?

I want to remind all of us that our policy here is to let everyone have their fair say in a respectful manner -- there is no need to resort to personal attacks or name calling.

simonking

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 01:28 PM »
We have been discussing the situation for a few days, and I believe we have found the optimal solution for everyone involved.

In the spirit of showing that we really do believe in our software, and the technology behind it, I'd like to offer anyone who wants to test and compare our tool the MagicRAR Drive Press Challenge!

We're giving away a fully unrestricted version of MagicRAR Drive Press for absolutely free, for one week only - so everybody can make up their own mind about the software. If anybody manages to match or beat MagicRAR Drive Press's compression, per the terms of the MagicRAR Drive Press Challenge, they earn a free copy of MagicRAR!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33 PM »
I've posted on the other thread too, but I just wanted to add here that I do applaud this as a positive and constructive step.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 01:57 AM »
I've posted on the other thread too, but I just wanted to add here that I do applaud this as a positive and constructive step.
I'd rather see some of the points put forth in this thread be answered, instead of met with aggressive hand-waving.
- carpe noctem