ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone actually use rewriteable media?

<< < (2/9) > >>

mouser:
may i make an advice about backups to dvd:
date and save the old ones.
one day you're going to realize that 4 backups ago you deleted a file you need, and that you've been making backups without it.  being able to roll back to an older backup can be worth its weight in gold.

superboyac:
Yes, I second that.  I date all my backups, and furthermore, I catalog the contents using Whereisit.  I don't think I've heard Whereisit mentioned here, it's a great program.

brotherS:
I'm using DVD+RW - but only *very* rarely.

Yes, I second that.  I date all my backups, and furthermore, I catalog the contents using Whereisit.  I don't think I've heard Whereisit mentioned here, it's a great program.
-superboyac (April 20, 2006, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Mentioned several times: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=search2;search=whereisit :D

But we still need a WhereIsIt? Mini-Review, are you up for it? :) According to http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/WhereIsIt/966364791/1 it's a decent program.

Carol Haynes:
That's very interesting Carol.  Did you have similar experiences with CDRW?  Or is DVDRW much more reliable/stable than the CD's were?

How about this, would you be comfortable to use DVDRW to backup data?  I don't mean as your main backup, but as a sort of less important secondary backup?
-superboyac (April 20, 2006, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I only had a very brief dabble with CDRWs and didn't like them much. I have about a dozen of them sitting on my floor at the moment unused - and probably 5 years old!

I din't use DVD-RW to store video etc. simply because it is more expensive but I do reuse them to record TV regularly and have had no problems (I have been using Verbatim and TraxData discs equally and both seem to work fine on my machine but lots of machines are a bit picky about what discs to use anyway). If I decide to keep a recording I run it through TSUNAMI DVD Author, cut out ads etc. and add a menu and then make a disc label (well actually I use InkJet printable DVD-R disc and +R discs - mostly Ritek as they are really cheap and their dye has a good reputation). I haven't had any go bad yet - though I have noticed the occasional problem playing computer produced discs on my DVD Cinema system (getting blocky breakdown) but I don't know if this is the discs or my Plextor DVD writer. It hasn't happened often and when it has I have recovered the discs easily by simply making a new copy with Nero on the PC (from the disc that doesn't play well).

As for data - I have to confess I rarely burn stuff to DVD these days. I usually do incremental backups to a separate hard disc and then periodically do a new backup which I burn. When I do burn backups I tend to use DVD-R or DVD+R discs simply  because they are cheap and I am anal about keeping old backups. Plus DVD-RW discs are expensive and slower to write and the need to erase them is extremely time consuming.

Hirudin:
I never use them either. I think I would, if the burn speeds were equal, but with formatting (I admit it, I don't know how long it takes to format) and the slower speed, I don't have any interest (paying more per disc doesn't thrill me either).

I've also had a couple problems with Ritek discs. I also don't know if I should chalk it up to the disc, the writer, or the disc-image though. I've always bought the cheapest I could find, with any media. Only ran into one problem: Office Depot OfficeMax branded CD-Rs. Unfortonately I bought 150 all at the same time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version