ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone actually use rewriteable media?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Bleh on your DVD player really - most DVD players will read DVD-RW discs if they are recorded in video mode and finalised. Many of the newer models will also read DVD-VR mode discs provided they are finalised too.

Advantage of vidoe mode = don't need to convert the ripped files if you want to make a proper menu driven DVD and edit out the rubbish as it is already in compliant MPEG 2 format.

Advantage of VR mode = you can edit on your player, you can reopen the disc after closing it.

vijay:
i use cdr and cdrw and dvd+/-r and dvd+ rw and i have had problems with the cdrs burnt on one machine being read on another

Jimdoria:
Carol said:
" Why do people feel the need to use CD-RW and DVD-RW as large floppies with the need to format them??? When I use DVD-RW (I don't bother with CD-RW these days at all - partly because of compataility issues with CD players) I just use it as a standard DVD-R disc."

Which is kind of my point, except for the reformatting part. If you are just using a CD-RW like a CD-R, why bother with it - why not just use CD-R? The ability to re-use disks by reformatting is a plus, but traditionally I want to be able to add to and delete from a removable disk as I go, like the floppys and zip disks I used to use with such ease. I've got a thumb drive now, and it works great, but size is an issue and it's pretty expensive on a per MB basis.

As for the "bleh" issue, from everything I've read on the subject, compatibility between computer DVD burners and consumer DVD players is still spotty at best. It depends on a number of factors, including the drive used to burn the disk, the media, the type of player, burn speed... there's no universal compatibility. Even with combinations that "should" work, sometimes it just doesn't work.

This is based on articles I've read, though. My actual DVD burning experience is pretty limited. But I just bought my first DVD burner a few weeks ago, so hopefully that'll be changing.

masu:
I use DVD+RW for my monthly disk images

no problems until now :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Which is kind of my point, except for the reformatting part. If you are just using a CD-RW like a CD-R, why bother with it - why not just use CD-R? The ability to re-use disks by reformatting is a plus, but traditionally I want to be able to add to and delete from a removable disk as I go, like the floppys and zip disks I used to use with such ease. I've got a thumb drive now, and it works great, but size is an issue and it's pretty expensive on a per MB basis.
--- End quote ---

You can with CD-RW??? Just use multisession writing (ie. don't finalise the disc between sessions).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version