ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone actually use rewriteable media?

(1/9) > >>

superboyac:
I know every time I've tried using CDRW discs, I've found them to be widely incompatible between machines, and always a little frustrating to use.  Drag and drop never works as simple as that, the discs become corrupted easily, etc.  I think the last time I tried was 2 years ago.  I've never tried DVD rewriteable technology, but I assume it's just as bad.  When I buy discs (CD or DVD) I NEVER get rewriteable discs.

But I haven't kept up with the times and I was wondering if it was better now, and if anyone actually uses these on a consistent basis now.  Flash memory seems to be the standard as far as being able to write/rewrite on a portable media.    But CDRW never worked that easily, at least for me.  Also, I just got a minidisc recorder, and it uses magneto-optical discs which are very easy and stable as far as rewriting data on it.

Rover:
In short: No

I found simlar problems with RW media.  Now with USB hard drives and sticks, why bother?

CD-RW and DVD-RW are dead to me  ;D

mouser:
im 100% with rover.  with price of blank cd/dvd and with usb sticks, seems not worth the trouble.

Carol Haynes:
I use DVD-RW all the time to video stuff off the TV and then use the computer to edit what I want to keep onto DVD-R or DVD+R formats. That way I can edit my movies etc. without usings two discs each time. Out of hundreds of DVD-RW recordings I have only had one disc go bad - and I recovered the recording using ISO buster ...

superboyac:
That's very interesting Carol.  Did you have similar experiences with CDRW?  Or is DVDRW much more reliable/stable than the CD's were?

How about this, would you be comfortable to use DVDRW to backup data?  I don't mean as your main backup, but as a sort of less important secondary backup?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version