topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ideas for thanking donators?  (Read 14632 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ideas for thanking donators?
« on: May 29, 2005, 12:39 PM »
anyone have any innovative ideas on ways we could thank and show appreciation to people who donate to the site.  hopefully ways that wouldn't cost money.
i was thinking one thing we could do is make a Thank You page listing people (with pics?) who have donated (optional of course!).

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ideas for thanking donators?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:22 PM »
ummm how about an active, always evolving site! what else could one ask for? well ok maybe an occasional software giveaway to the random joe user. don't stress your brain too much on this one. :) thanks again for the great community!

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Donating is like gift-giving; you should do so because you want to, not because you expect something in return, other than perhaps a very small bit of private recognition, which you do already (unfailingly).  Then again, I'm a weirdo; I often don't give gifts on birthdays and other pseudo-occasions, preferring to give gifts on random, unexpected days instead.  I don't like calendars running my life.  :down:

Speaking of gifts, it seems I have a gift for drifting off topic!  :)

OK, if anything, an opt-in page that lists donators would be cool.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

dtrud0h

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Rant-Zone
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 10:30 PM »
I definately agree with Scott on this topic.  I think that you handle the thanking very well (at least prior to the form letter machine ;) ).  I think it might be a good idea to put a small indicator on the donations page that you could update weekly that says
 " Donation Coders budget is currently in the RED"  or
  " Donation Coders budget is currently in theBlack           

So people would know if the need for donations was vital at the moment.
I would personally rather give to a cause that is genuinely in need than one that isn't.  I don't know if that would help out with new donors, but if I saw a red marker as  a member who visits almost daily, I'd give again.  That might prompt you to update the date at the bottom of the donations page regularly to show when the need arose so people wouldn't think you set the page up with a red marker and left it that way.
<- I have nothing witty to put here ->

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I don't see any mention of gifts? The fact is you have already given away free software, expensive even at that. It's a great plug for membership, especially if all you have to do is be a member & be active to have a chance at gettin some.  It doesnt matter to me personally, but anything to get more people into the fold.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 01:57 PM »
it does - one of the bullets says:
"Early access to new reviews and the chance to win free software. "

though one of the things i want to be careful of is not to distort the spirit of this site and end up enticing people to donate for the wrong reasons.  god knows the last thing we would want is for people to be coming and making multiple $1 donations just to get a better chance of winning some free software ;)

the best thing about this site for me is the kind of people that have reacted positively to the idea and supported it; i'm very keen to make this idea work and show people that a donation-based approach to software can be succesful, which is partly why i keep thinking and talking with you guys about the best way to do it.  but the #1 goal is still to make a fun site that everyone feels great about.  it's kind of a balancing act because i know that (most) people need to really see a compelling reason to donate before they'll make the effort
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 02:05 PM by mouser »

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 02:23 PM »
doh! i'm blind.  sorry.  i agree about not wanting people to join for that reason of course.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 02:38 PM »
I think an opt-in page of donators is a great idea.  What about listing names, and having the name link to each donator's forum profile?  That way, each donator could control what they want to say (why they donated, why the believe in the site, what makes them gassy, etc.), or they could link to a pic, their web site, or whatever.  Maybe it's too tacky though.  :tellme:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 02:40 PM by Scott »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 03:23 PM »
i'm going to set up such a page..
people will be able to put up a picture of themself (bigger than avatar size) or their family, pet, etc. and a message (doesn't have to be related to donationcoder.com), like a short bio if they want, and or link to forum profile. just be nice way of having a page where people can see who members are if they want to share info.  i think the page will be a like a yearbook style page, if you know what i mean.

another thing i think we will: any donating member should be able to give out a free membership to a friend.. i don't know how many, one two,, within reason.  doesn't really cost us anything so why not.. we can make a nice little animated custom flash ecard or something, so you can point your friend to like "https://www.donation...er.com/gift?john+doe", and it will give them a fun personal flash animated greeting saying that so and so has given them a gift lifetime membership.  probably kind of hokey but.. could be fun.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 04:22 PM »
i like it all but the free membership for a friend seems a bit odd to me. sort of devalues the idea of making a donation.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 06:03 PM »
i agree with nudone on free membership to a friend. would be good for exposure on one side, but on the other it goes against the concept of membership here.  besides if a friend would like it here, it's either easy enough to donate or just ask for special circumstances in an email. still having an invitation link/email would be a must.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 06:41 PM »
After thinking on it for a minute, I agree with the idea that inviting a friend to be a member devalues the act of donating.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 10:31 PM »
ok, the members have spoken - forget that idea.

i will still try to make some funny flash invitations though, just as a way to let friends know about the site.
but instead of giving them free membership, the invitations will be set to automatically triple the amount of money extracted from their bank accounts when they donate. 

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 11:22 PM »
That's hilarious. I'll vote with the "keep making a great site" crowd. I think a gentle, professional "This site is made possible by your donations, thus the domain name" reminder is sufficient. The best reward, of course, is the smart, vibrant community created right here at DCC.