topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 1:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Text Messages on Your Contact Lenses?  (Read 2259 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Text Messages on Your Contact Lenses?
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Could be very cool, though I'd worry about the safety. I kind of like my eyes. I'm quite attached to them. :P

http://tiny.iavian.net/hki (Drudge fast link)
http://www.telegraph...ur-contact-lens.html (Slow link)

Text messages direct to your contact lens

Ghent University's centre of microsystems technology has developed a spherical curved LCD display which can be embedded in contact lenses and handle projected images using wireless technology.

"Now that we have established the basic technology, we can start working towards real applications, possibly available in only a few years," said Professor Herbert De Smet.

Unlike previous contact lens displays, which are limited to a few small pixels to make up an image, the new technology allows the whole curved surface of the lens to be used.

One application suggested by the researchers is a "one pixel, fully covered contact lens acting as adaptable sunglasses".

"This is not science fiction," said Jelle De Smet, the chief researcher on the project, who believes commercial applications for the lenses will be available within five years.

"This will never replace the cinema screen for films. But for specific applications it may be interesting to show images such as road directions or projecting text messages from our smart phones straight to our eye."

The innovation is the first step towards "fully pixelated contact lens displays" with the same detail as a television screen.

The lenses could also be used for medical purposes, for example to control the light transmission toward the eye's retina in case of a damaged iris.

For cosmetic purposes, the lens could be used the iris of the eye a tuneable colour, allowing the user to change it to suit their mood.

Built in sunglasses & different eye colours would be cool. Though I'd not really be up for telco spam...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Text Messages on Your Contact Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:17 PM »
I think they got their inspiration from this 'Black Mirror'-episode. The first season has only three episodes, and according to IMDB there are three more planned for season two.

These episodes show an interesting and also very depressing look into what the future could have in store for us. All episodes from season one are definitely worth watching.  :Thmbsup: