ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Be Careful What You Download - Or Go To Jail...

(1/11) > >>

Renegade:
So, this poor woman downloads some stuff onto her phone to read... then gets sent to jail for it.   :'(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9727045/Bride-jailed-for-downloading-terror-magazine.html

Sentencing her, Mr Justice Fulford accepted she only downloaded the material to see what had driven her brothers to terrorism.

She pleaded guilty last month to having material which was likely to be useful to someone committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

This was two editions of al Qaeda’s Inspire magazine on a micro SD memory card in her mobile.

"She is of good behaviour and a good Muslim.

"Against this background, I accept on the evidence before me that this defendant gathered together the contents of the SD card in order to explore and understand the charges which her brothers faced.

"There is no evidence that she was motivated by their ideology or was preparing to follow them.

"She had damaged what could have been a potentially blossoming future by committing these offences."

But, said the judge, the material could have aided a terrorist and such serious offences would always carry a prison sentence.

--- End quote ---

Thought crimes. Pure and simple. She's guilty of nothing other than trying to understand something. i.e. A thought crime. Which must "always carry a prison sentence."

It just doesn't get any more Orwellian than this.

Ooops... That's not true. Just wait until tomorrow... There will be another person convicted of thought crimes.

Oh, and just for the sake of committing a though crime, I'd like to post some information that could "aid a terrorist":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder#Combustion_characteristics

A simple, commonly cited, chemical equation for the combustion of black powder is
2 KNO3 + S + 3 C → K2S + N2 + 3 CO2.

A balanced, but still simplified, equation is
10 KNO3 + 3 S + 8 C → 2 K2CO3 + 3 K2SO4 + 6 CO2 + 5 N2.

Although charcoal's chemical formula varies, it can be best summed up by its empirical formula: C7H4O

An even more accurate equation of the decomposition of regular black powder with the use of sulfur can be described as:
4 KNO3 + C7H4O + 2 S —> 2 K2S + 4 CO2 + 3 CO + 2 H2O + 2 N2

Black powder without the use of sulfur:
6 KNO3 + C7H4O —> 3 K2CO3 + CO2 + 6 CO + 2 H2O + 2 N2

--- End quote ---

Information is just that. Information. (I'm tempted to quote the intro to "The Prisoner".)

Information is not a crime.  >:(

I own a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook, and have for around 20 years or so. It's a fun read. Does that make me a criminal?

Nuff said.

40hz:
I own a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook, and have for around 20 years or so. It's a fun read. Does that make me a criminal?
-Renegade (December 07, 2012, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not only does it make you a criminal, it establishes premeditation, and a life-long commitment to advocating and possibly committing terrorist acts! ;D

As some found out who innocently ordered books from (now defunct) Loompanics Unlimited.

Joking aside, having the TSA spot "objectionable materials" (i.e."books we don't like") in your luggage can be enough enough to now get you detained for 48 hours, indefinitely barred from boarding an airline flight, and listed forever as a potential security threat.

Gee...doesn't cluelessness and "profiling" make for an unbeatable combination? :tellme:

I feel safer already. 8)

TaoPhoenix:

Half of this story is missing. How did "police discover" those materials on her phone?  Do relatives of terrorists have to submit their phones for police inspection!?

Also, we're getting into Thought Control Mad Libs pretty soon here.
Oh gawd, I might have a NANY idea! (Not formally pledging because my programming skills are at the 8 year old level but still.)

40hz:
I like the mad libs idea.  ;D

Stoic Joker:
You have totally got! to. be. shitting. me...

"She is of good behaviour and a good Muslim.
--- End quote ---
While I normally detest the PC crowd...I am reasonably sure there was a better way of phrasing this (e.g. WTF does her being Muslim have to do with anything?!?). She's a descent/honest person...and therefore should be left alone.

"Against this background, I accept on the evidence before me that this defendant gathered together the contents of the SD card in order to explore and understand the charges which her brothers faced.
--- End quote ---
Nice (starkly midevil horror show) windup for the "It's just so out of my hands/the law is clear.../there is nothing I can do..." pitch - The hanging will be at 5 tomorrow (bring the kids!).

"There is no evidence that she was motivated by their ideology or was preparing to follow them.
--- End quote ---
Which last time I checked meant she wasn't guilty of anything, so let her go..!

"She had damaged what could have been a potentially blossoming future by committing these offences."
--- End quote ---
Now this kind of 5 star completely obtuse bullshit makes me want to strangle someone just for allowing it to come out of their mouths. She hasn't damaged a god damn thing! All she did was read a book with the heinous intention of educating herself. The judge and the rest of his merry band of hench-tards. have with great intent completely destroyed this poor woman's reputation.

But, said the judge, the material could have aided a terrorist and such serious offences would always carry a prison sentence.
--- End quote ---

Derp! ...Yeah, like the encyclopedia Britannica which includes all of the aforementioned information and more! That's just stupid beyond words.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version