ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File sharing advice

(1/4) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I've got my head buried deep into some art works I'm doing for two of my sons who are getting married next year.... actually, that's only a month or so away  :'(

Anyway... for the first son's wedding I'm setting up a computer and projector with the intention (hope) that the guests will donate their photos that they've taken on the day to a running live photo mosaic.

So far I've got scripts running that:
1. Watch for insertion of a removable drive
2. Copy photos taken today of the card / drive onto the computer
3. ImageMagick resizes and auto-rotates
4. Photo mosaic software generates new mosaics as the photo numbers increase (in groups)
5. Slide show is regenerated when a new mosaic is created.

The scripts run well and the resulting slideshow is an evolving image made up of the mosaic tiles that over time gets more and more defined to the base image.  :Thmbsup:

OK... so what's the problem??

In this day and age I'm wondering if many people will have brought their phones (not cameras -- I've got a good array of card readers) and I'm not sure what the best way for people to get their photos off their phones and onto my hard drive is....  I don't have a smart phone, so have no idea  :-\

I don't mind multiple methods... just needs to be as easy as possible.

Thanks

mouser:
One approach would be this:

* Set up an account at an image hosting/sharing site, like SmugMug, etc.
* Have everyone install an app that will let them send photos to that account and tell them password, OR maybe easier, see if you can set the account up to accept new images by email.
* Then have your local program download new pictures uploaded to that account.
Alternatively, find a cheap usb drive camera model.  Buy 20 of them.  Let people just come "borrow" one of them to use for a while and return it with photos that you would download and wipe and make ready for the next person.

Perry Mowbray:
I did think about a site that could sync with DropBox... anyone had experience with email uploads to a photo sharing site?

4wd:
For Android based smart phone: USB to micro-USB B cable.
For iPhone: USB to "whatever their standard is" cable.
For any phone with WiFi: An open access point and a shared folder, (remove Delete permission so someone doesn't accidentally delete everything).

Last one is probably the easiest and involves no cost to uploaders.

Perry Mowbray:
Do you know how many phones have WiFi... majority?

I don't think I'll be able to cater for everyone, but the more the merrier.

So I could take my Router, and I presume that it'll set up WiFi without a DSL connection?, and give everyone the password which will give them access to the shared directory... I can see that working: particularly like the no-cost element.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version