ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Circumventing UEFI/SecureBoot on a new PC

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
It's here. It's drear. Get over it.  :-\

UEFI enabled PCs are now shipping.

Fine if you're a Win 8 fan. But if you want to boot anything else off them you're SOL unless you take additional steps.

Fortunately OSNews is on it with a short note and two links for how to work around UEFI if you want to use Lunux or another OS. (It's a little trickier than it looks.) Article here.

Yankee Rose! :Thmbsup:

Edvard:
Very nice. My kudos to Mr. Smith for going through the trouble for us.  What's even more evil about the whole situation is that it was not sold as a UEFI-enabled machine (although with Win8 installed, should be a given...), thereby taking the user unsuspected.

Former Red Hat dev Matthew Garret has come up with an alternate way that's even more involved, but does allow key signing for unknown operating systems:
http://www.zdnet.com/shimming-your-way-to-linux-on-windows-8-pcs-7000008246/?s_cid=e539
Mind you, the actual signed part is not open source and includes Microsoft's signature, and so, from what I gather, it is actually following Microsoft's Secure Boot implementation specs; that is, it's not so much circumvention as it is creative compliance.

Mr. Garrett's original report here: http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20303.html

So until MS gets over stalling for time until it can get Win8 into some semblance of market saturation (or at least that's my take on the situation), we soldier on...

40hz:
So until MS gets over stalling for time until it can get Win8 into some semblance of market saturation (or at least that's my take on the situation), we soldier on...
-Edvard (December 06, 2012, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

That does seem to be the informed consensus as to what the real problem is.

And Microsoft doesn't seem to be going out of its way to dispel that conclusion either. Unless you consider their near silence on the topic plus continued stonewalling a reply. Very "Steve Jobs" that bit, don't you think?

Microsoft seems to be getting more and more like Apple with each passing day. :-\

edbro:
I had to figure this out yesterday when I tried to boot Acronis True Image from a bootable USB drive. True Image boots into Linux. I finally got it to boot but the screen is all garbled (separate problem).

Carol Haynes:
The only secure boot machines I have seen so far have had the option to turn it off and return to legacy BIOS mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version