ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where Is Windows 8.1?

<< < (3/8) > >>

40hz:

I had much the same experience using the pre-rtm release in a virtual machine.
However, old wine, regardless the container, can be pretty damned good  :P.
So I've ordered a Lenovo Yoga, so as to get the touch experience, see whether arthritic hands and an old brain can handle the new processes and concepts  :-\ :P.
-barney (December 06, 2012, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing a few of us are in mostly the same boat. So keep us posted please? :)

Stoic Joker:
And I'm still unimpressed with the new interface and general changes in how to do things. It seems very unnecessary to me.-40hz (December 06, 2012, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of like not wanting to deal with all the hassles involved in cranking-up a horseless carriage, when the horse was (always on and ready to go) so much simpler/easier/faster...  :D

40hz:
And I'm still unimpressed with the new interface and general changes in how to do things. It seems very unnecessary to me.-40hz (December 06, 2012, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of like not wanting to deal with all the hassles involved in cranking-up a horseless carriage, when the horse was (always on and ready to go) so much simpler/easier/faster...  :D
-Stoic Joker (December 06, 2012, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

To say nothing of an experienced horse (who usually knows the precise way back to his stable) being a safe ride home in the event you had too much to drink at the pub. Time was, you could just climb back in your surrey and say "Go home boy!" Then you were safe to pass out until the horse woke you up when you got back. (They're good at doing that too btw.)

Try getting that level of functionality and service from an automobile - even if it does go faster most times. 8)

Hey Renegade! Are you reading this??? :P ;D

Whenever I think of all the user experience, muscle memory, and subconscious work patterns that went out the door with Metro (like they did with that effing 'ribbon' in Office) I just want to scream. I now have to look at the screen in order to do anything with Win8.
 :tellme:

tomos:
For a laptop, I'll forgive it a lot for that boot speed...

[...]
I am a translator and 90 percent of the time I look into one window (foxit reader), and type into another (word). Metro interface is abso-loving-lutely unusable to me as a concept and practice. But I can think of others who do not want to be distracted when typing in a novel or a report. If you imposed a multi-window interface on them, that wouldn't be ideal as well.
-eleman (December 06, 2012, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, not.  The metro interface does allow dual windows.-wraith808 (December 06, 2012, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

here's one way:

My personal favorite new one is win+. and win+shift+. (That's win period). Some of the new "modern" apps are pretty cool when pinned to the side of your desktop. I most often use it for Music, mail or twitter depending on what I'm doing.
-allen (November 15, 2012, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
-
those shortcuts get you a 25/75 divide of apps/sreen space (in the tiled world) - I dont know how to make that 50/50 (or if that's possible).
You can also have an 'app' on one side, and desktop/software on the other.

40hz:
For a laptop, I'll forgive it a lot for that boot speed...
-tomos (December 06, 2012, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

When I saw it boot on one of the newer laptops (with hibernation enabled in Win8) it seemed very fast indeed. :Thmbsup:

On the older laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525 - Core-2 Duo @ 2.0Ghz/4Gb RAM) I tested it on, it only booted 5 seconds faster than a tricked out installation of Linux Mint (Maya 64-bit using the 3.2.0-23-generic kernal) did using an identical hard drive that dual boots with Windows 7. If it wasn't set up for dual booting - and the installation was only the distro's default - you could probably shave a few seconds off the boot time for Linux.

Be interesting to see how fast Linux would start on a brand new Windows 8 laptop.

Oh wait...there's that little SecureBoot headache that needs to be dealt with first isn't there? That might affect the boot times a bit for Linux going forward. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version