ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where Is Windows 8.1?

<< < (6/8) > >>

f0dder:
Windows 8 (I didn't test, but I assume the above is correct): 6.2.x-wraith808 (December 05, 2012, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200] - so yeah, the kernel is a point upgrade.

Actually, not.  The metro interface does allow dual windows.-wraith808 (December 06, 2012, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hrm, apart from "one App per monitor" and the snap-to-side thing, does Metro allow for windows? I wasn't under the impression it does?

I have three monitors and found it almost impossible to use with a mouse because it was really hard to hit the corners of the centre monitor and 'Metro' stuck to one screen.-Carol Haynes (December 06, 2012, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
I personally don't use the charms bar or any of the hot-corner stuff when dealing with Win8, so that's not really a problem for me. But I'm not using any Metro apps.

Kinda like it so far on my work laptop - it's not a big enough thing that I'll reinstall my finely working Win7 workstation, but next time I do an OS reinstall there, it'll definitely be Win8 (unless the successor is out and turns out to be decent.)

wraith808:
Hrm, apart from "one App per monitor" and the snap-to-side thing, does Metro allow for windows? I wasn't under the impression it does?
-f0dder (January 12, 2013, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, so I was bit loose with the definition of 'window'.  You have it right with the 1/4 snap bit.

f0dder:
-f0dder (January 12, 2013, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ok, so I was bit loose with the definition of 'window'.  You have it right with the 1/4 snap bit.
-wraith808 (January 12, 2013, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Fair :)

That's decent enough, but definitely in no way a replacement for generic movable & resizeable windows, when we're talking desktop operating systems.

wraith808:
That's decent enough, but definitely in no way a replacement for generic movable & resizeable windows, when we're talking desktop operating systems.
-f0dder (January 12, 2013, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... i have to agree with you there.  When I first used it, I was like Wow... but in practical use, it became less feasible.  In tablet mode, I can still see why it's useful, however.  Which is why I still stick to my statement that if MS hadn't proclaimed the desktop legacy, and had kept a form of the start menu- but also introduced not-Metro, and let people transparently and easily choose which they wanted to use and boot into, a lot of the problems they are having wouldn't exist.

Arizona Hot:
Microsoft may be doing that with the Win 8 update called "Blue". I believe that it's present name is Windows 8.1.

Windows Blue May Bring Back The Start Button - Technology News - redOrbit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version