ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where Is Windows 8.1?

(1/8) > >>

Arizona Hot:
John C. Dvorak asking why Microsoft abandoned "point step" versions for Service Packs.

wraith808:
Wow... Dvorak keeps getting more and more pointless.  (Pun intended... but still)

To see the correct Windows version, just open a Command Prompt, type "ver" and press enter:

Windows 2000: 5.0.x
Windows XP: 5.1.x
Windows Vista: 6.0.x
Windows 7: 6.1.x
Windows 8 (I didn't test, but I assume the above is correct): 6.2.x

Where 'x' varies with Service Packs.

So... yeah.

TaoPhoenix:
MS has found themselves in the game long enough for different marketing managers to come and go, leaving the company as a whole with a slightly embarrassing inconsistency of brand naming for Windows.

3, 3.1, 3.11, 3.2, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and now if the codename sticks, Blue.
Windows Blue/8.1/9/whatever is due out mid next year, which is real fast. Some early articles were trumpeting it being "yay free" ... up until you tie that in with this article, if it's 8.1 of course no one would pay for it.

Edit: Wraith was thinking along slightly similar lines to me : )

40hz:
I disagree with one point John made. Which is a record since I usually take issue with about half of what he says most times:

"And why would anyone want to run any application full screen ever? The only time you do it is perhaps to watch a movie on the computer. This incorrect notion obviously came from people who do not actually use computers."

Well...I "actually use" computers. And I do most of my writing/scripting using a "distraction free" (as in full screen) text editor. And I'm far from being alone in doing that.

But I also use a command terminal at least twice as much as I use a GUI - so maybe I am a mutant? ;D

eleman:
I disagree with one point John made. Which is a record since I usually take issue with about half of what he says most times:

"And why would anyone want to run any application full screen ever? The only time you do it is perhaps to watch a movie on the computer. This incorrect notion obviously came from people who do not actually use computers."

Well...I "actually use" computers. And I do most of my writing/scripting using a "distraction free" (as in full screen) text editor. And I'm far from being alone in doing that.
-40hz (December 05, 2012, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

The point is, I believe, that it is wrong to impose one use pattern over the other. I am a translator and 90 percent of the time I look into one window (foxit reader), and type into another (word). Metro interface is abso-loving-lutely unusable to me as a concept and practice. But I can think of others who do not want to be distracted when typing in a novel or a report. If you imposed a multi-window interface on them, that wouldn't be ideal as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version