topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ron's Editor (excellent CSV editor) and Ron's Renamer (batch file renamer)  (Read 8526 times)

Aaron Stewart

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello All,

On the invitation of mouser I am posting a little about a couple of applications I have written. For clarity I would like to mention that whilst am the developer that wrote said applications, I have decided to try and sell them, mainly so I can spend more time developing my own applications. All of them have an unlimited trial period though, so I feel I am being fair :-[.

Ron's Editor is a powerful CSV editor, that has been under development on and off for quite a few years. It started as a simple CSV reader and evolved over time from my own needs and a huge quantity of user feedback. In fact to say I invented this product would be stretching the truth somewhat - in really is a product of evolution and unreasonable demands  ;). I personally feel it is currently the best one around, but I will leave the final vote to the masses.

Ron's Renamer is a batch file renaming utility that I just wrote to do a job that I felt other applications did not do very well. To be fair their are a few more file renamers around now than when I started, and I wont make a big point about being better than any of the others. I take a rule based approach that combines small tasks into quite complex jobs, which can more or less achieve any batch renaming job. It works well and handles large file sets elegantly - obviously I like it  ;).

Finally, I am fundamentally a C# developer so if anyone wants to pop me any questions feel free.

Please enjoy my products - I am always interested in feedback (actually I value it highly).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site Aaron, glad to see you here.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Finally, I am fundamentally a C# developer so if anyone wants to pop me any questions feel free.

YAY~! Make sure to drop in at the developer's forums here.

In the meantime, I'll check out what you have there above. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Aaron, welcome to dc!
Just wanted to say I think that a screenshot of each would be helpful in terms of getting interest.
Both look good (I wouldnt be a big user of either myself though FWIW)
Tom

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ron's Editor is a powerful CSV editor, that has been under development on and off for quite a few years.

Welcome to DC.  :)

Well, I am interested in trying Quick Find (Quick "as-you-type" row filtering makes it easier to find things.) feature.

QuickFind.JPGRon's Editor (excellent CSV editor) and Ron's Renamer (batch file renamer)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hello to you,

Ron's Renamer - I am not sure whether your product supports

1/ Regular Expressions (which flavor? Java?)
2/ Regular Expressions : Lookahead and Lookbehinds  (currently there are hardly any renamers supporting this feature, found FlexRenamer that does this to some extend)
3/ Piping with the lookaheads, like: (?<!((this|or|that)) - FlexRenamer does not support this, I have not found any renamer supporting this.

=

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello to you,

Ron's Renamer - I am not sure whether your product supports

1/ Regular Expressions (which flavor? Java?)
2/ Regular Expressions : Lookahead and Lookbehinds  (currently there are hardly any renamers supporting this feature, found FlexRenamer that does this to some extend)
3/ Piping with the lookaheads, like: (?<!((this|or|that)) - FlexRenamer does not support this, I have not found any renamer supporting this.
I kind of have the same questions as you. My current renamers are PFrank and DOpus 11.

To your question about a renamer that supports lookahead/lookbehind.
Ever heard of PFrank? It uses Python 2.4 regexes.
Just make sure to dowload the version for your system (I guess the one that works for W7 also works with W8).

Not really sure what you mean about piping (you ask about lookahead, but the example does a lookbehind).

Edit: Ouch, I guess I need to remember to check the posting date.