ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anti-Addiction Drug

<< < (2/4) > >>

cthorpe:
The conspiracy nut/pessimist in me says that there will be "pressure" or "incentives" for DRs to go back to the old days of over-prescribing addictive drugs....

A sore back?  Have 6 months worth of Vicodin.

A little trouble sleeping?  Valium for you and your whole family.

Tinman57:
The conspiracy nut/pessimist in me says that there will be "pressure" or "incentives" for DRs to go back to the old days of over-prescribing addictive drugs....

A sore back?  Have 6 months worth of Vicodin.

A little trouble sleeping?  Valium for you and your whole family.
-cthorpe (December 05, 2012, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems that most doctors now days are under-prescribing opiate drugs for fear of lawsuits.  Whatever happened to the idea of relieving pain and suffering?  There was a tv special that I saw that was about that very subject.
  Where I see the good about this new drug is for the people that are recovering from problems with severe pain.  But the $1000 a month cost is just ridiculous, and I don't know if the insurance companies are going to pay and tell them to use the old fashioned way of weening.

app103:
The nice thing about pharmaceutical patents is that they DO expire in 12 years, and then the market can be flooded with cheaper generics, at about a 30% to 80% reduction in cost to the patient.  ;)

Renegade:
The nice thing about pharmaceutical patents is that they DO expire in 12 years, and then the market can be flooded with cheaper generics, at about a 30% to 80% reduction in cost to the patient.  ;)
-app103 (December 05, 2012, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's *kind of * true... but not really.

In reality, when a patent is up for expiry, the pharmaceutical companies run out, do some quack study, add some kind of condition that the medication can be used for, then get their patents extended. It's no different than how the MAFIAA continually demand that copyright expiry be lengthened continually.

So, while in "theory" pharma patents may only last 12 years, the reality is that they get extended and the prices stay high.

i.e. You're only going to get low prices on these drugs if you are a very, very, very patient patient. ;) :D

barney:
i.e. You're only going to get low prices on these drugs if you are a very, very, very patient patient. ;) :D
-Renegade (December 05, 2012, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well-l-l-l ... a little - lot of? - longevity would help  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version